Pirate 4x4 banner

Belt sander on sale - Craftsman

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  D60 
#1 ·
See less See more
#8 ·
Cresso said:
Would it be possible to put a wire wheel on the disc side? I don't see any mention of that capability in the product specs.
That doesn't look like a good candidate. I want more oomph out of a wire wheel, also that looks like it would be a tight fit, couldn't get a workpiece to fit nice, since you use the edge of a wire wheel and the face of a disc sander.

There's no reason you couldn't put one on there though. It's a 3500rpm motor.

I use not much pressure on a sander, but I lean like hell on a wire wheel.

#10 ·
The Craftsman unit has a sanding disc on the other side rather than a grinding wheel. But I do like the look of the tool rests. The pic in the flyer makes it look much better than the one above, let's see if this works:

Ok, it calls up the whole page.

#12 ·
The thing is JUNK. Last summer I did a TV show for FX and Craftsman gave the show a lot of tools. This thing was one of them. I would not have it in my shop. If you were sanding small wood parts it might work fine. If you apply any kind of presure to the belt it will stall. About the only thing I used it for on the show was to sharpen tungsten for the TIG.

I think you would be a lot better off looking at a better belt sander. Some of the really nice ones get up there in price. You can find some nice Burr Kings on EBAY.

I use a 20 inch disk sander for most jobs. It has a huge fly wheel. I even notch tube with it. I can not make it stall. They range in price from around 1299 to 2999. You can find used ones around.

Just my thoughts, but what do I know?

Thanks
Dan

#13 ·
Good info! I never bought it. I've got an old 12A Rockwell that's treating me GREAT (except having to special order 2x20" belts). I can lean into that Rockwell all I want and it doesn't even think about slowing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.