bearing puller - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2004, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 31328
bearing puller

Will one of those 5 ton 3 jaw bearing puller work on carrier bearings. Just trying to figure out if one of those 12.99 pullers from Harbor Freight will handle carrier bearings..... any thoughts?
ajjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 07:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 17904
It will pull them, but destroy them in the process. Pony up the 300 bucks and buy the set from Randy's. They will pay for themselves in short order cause everyone will want you to set up gears for them. At about 300 for a front and back, you'll start making money off them soon.
HalfFastFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2004, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 31328
since I will be using new bearings any way to setup my new carrier. Is there any reason I would care if they are damaged in the process? I just need to get them off to measure the shims as a starting point for my new carrier.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 14685
Send a message via AIM to braxton357
They also sell bearing separators for like 15 bucks or so, that would work much better. $300 for doing your own gears is stupid. Pull the set off of the carrier, hone them out and make some setup bearings. Then not only is setup much easier, but you don't have to worry about pulling them, only putting new ones on

70 turbocharged 351w fastback mustang
73 linked 5.8efi Bronco
99 QCLB 4x4 twin'd cummins on meth.
braxton357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 17904
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjelly
since I will be using new bearings any way to setup my new carrier. Is there any reason I would care if they are damaged in the process? I just need to get them off to measure the shims as a starting point for my new carrier.
Cause then you put the new ones on and if they are wrong, you'll destroy them pulling them off too.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 17904
Quote:
Originally Posted by braxton357
They also sell bearing separators for like 15 bucks or so, that would work much better. $300 for doing your own gears is stupid. Pull the set off of the carrier, hone them out and make some setup bearings. Then not only is setup much easier, but you don't have to worry about pulling them, only putting new ones on
These may have worked for you, but I have personally never had good luck with them. The bearing ended up tweaked and it's hard to get a proper measurement off of them. It may be steep, but I've never had to grind the lip on any of the sets sold by Randy, and setting up gears around here is cheap at 300. Do somebody else's gears and the set is paid for. After the first, it's all profit.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 31328
yea... I guess it is kind of cocky to think I will get it right the first time.... but I do plan to use setup bearings so who knows!!
Old 07-21-2004, 09:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by braxton357
Pull the set off of the carrier, hone them out and make some setup bearings. Then not only is setup much easier, but you don't have to worry about pulling them, only putting new ones on
Great idea. Now how are you going to pull the original ones without the right kind of puller that doesn't destroy them in the process.

No way I would use old bearings as setup bearings. You're just asking for extra work and setting up gears is confounding enough sometimes.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
KLF

Member # 3910
$300 for a bearing puller? I don't think so. Get a good bearing splitter, like the OTC #1123, you can find them on eBay for around $40. I just made this puller jig for mine the other day, the only cost was $10 for a chunk of 5/8-18 threaded rod:

Pulls pinion bearings too:

The center part is out of my harmonic balancer puller kit. The rest is scrap metal and MIG wire.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
KLF does yours pull on the cage of the bearing? I have one of those splitters also and all it does is deform the cage. The quality of the one I have is questionable.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 04:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
KLF

Member # 3910
I had no problem pulling the bearings off by the inner race, no damage to the cage at all. OTC is a good brand, they are the company that makes all the SST's (Special Service Tools) for Toyota and others.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 14685
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP
Great idea. Now how are you going to pull the original ones without the right kind of puller that doesn't destroy them in the process.

No way I would use old bearings as setup bearings. You're just asking for extra work and setting up gears is confounding enough sometimes.

Whatever man, thats why I mentioned a bearing splitter, just like the setup klf is using there. When did he ever say that he was planning on going into business setting up other people's shit? People have used their old bearings for setup bearings for years and had no problems, why the fuck should he go spend $85 on a set for one axle? Some of you guys make it seem like you need 1k worth of equipment to setup your own shit on an old trail rig...

73 linked 5.8efi Bronco
Old 07-22-2004, 09:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 17904
Then why bother doing it yourself. There are plenty of machine shops out there that will be happy to take your money to pull and install bearings (probably about the cost of the cheap tools to do it yourself). And while your on the topic of not spending money on quality tools: why is it that most of the favorite brands of tools (another post) are the higher dollar ones? Could it be that by using the proper tools you are working smarter, not harder to do the job? FWIW, I get 300-450 to do r&p setups now, cause nobody else wants to mess with them.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 14685
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFastFord
Then why bother doing it yourself. There are plenty of machine shops out there that will be happy to take your money to pull and install bearings (probably about the cost of the cheap tools to do it yourself). And while your on the topic of not spending money on quality tools: why is it that most of the favorite brands of tools (another post) are the higher dollar ones? Could it be that by using the proper tools you are working smarter, not harder to do the job? FWIW, I get 300-450 to do r&p setups now, cause nobody else wants to mess with them.

So are you suggesting that a 12yo needs a wormdrive saw, makita drill, and laser level to put together his treehouse just because that's what contractors use to regularly build houses? I can setup gears with under $100 in specialty tools, why the fuck should I go give randy's some more of my money? Sure, I can pay a pro 3-$400 to set them up, but I have plenty of time, and I'd rather do it myself...and that's the point of this site. I could pay someone $400 for a bumper, but why when I can build one for 50? And say I'm only building two bumpers, why should I go buy a $200 jd2 notcher when I have a chopsaw?
I'm not trying to be a dick, and I know the value of good tools...but I'm also tired of people online--and in everyday life--that think they're the shit because they just bought a worthless $300 tool, and that you're nothing if you didn't. Reminds me of some yuppie-assed harley riders...

:edit: I didn't clearly read your post, it's late. Yeah, I agree...if you have a friend or shop that can do it for you for very cheap then go for it. But even then I myself would probably still try it just to see what happens. Carrier bearings arent *that* expensive.

73 linked 5.8efi Bronco

Last edited by braxton357; 07-22-2004 at 11:38 PM.