Hobart 180 vs. Lincoln 175 vs. Miller 175 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2004, 09:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 32885
Hobart 180 vs. Lincoln 175 vs. Miller 175

I'm leaning towards the Hobart, because I think it's the best value. BUT, I'm not that experienced at welding and am looking for the most idiot proof machine. From what I've heard all three are good quality brand names, and I've also been told that the Hobart is made by Miller, with only slight differences here and there.

Talk me into the best choice. The Miller isn't that much more than the Hobart, but is it really worth it?

Also, where's the best place to buy a welder? I've been looking at Cyberweld and Welders-Direct.

Thanks
cdogg44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2004, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 27429
Hobart uses plastic components where Millers have metal. Otherwise I think the design is pretty much the same.
Abugarcia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2004, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 24273
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdogg44
The Miller isn't that much more than the Hobart, but is it really worth it?

Also, where's the best place to buy a welder? I've been looking at Cyberweld and Welders-Direct.

Can't say that I have used all 3 machines you mentioned, but I have used quite a few different Millers, and was very pleased. Personally, I would choose the Miller over any other brand.

As for the best place to buy a welder, my opinion would be your local welding supply. True, online may be a bit cheaper, but you want to establish a good relationship with your local place as soon as possible. Remember, this is where you will turn for service, consumables etc.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abugarcia
Hobart uses plastic components where Millers have metal. Otherwise I think the design is pretty much the same.
That *used* to the be the case, but second hard reports state that the Hobart now uses metal drive gears just like the Miller.

I noticed the other day that Hobart upped their line - essentially rebadging the Handler 135 to a 140, and the 175 to a 180. I am guessing they are trying to differentiate between the Miller 135/175 welders. I haven'tcross referenced the specs yet, but I bet the new Hoabrt 180 is no different than the old Hobart 175.
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2004, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyzuks
As for the best place to buy a welder, my opinion would be your local welding supply. True, online may be a bit cheaper, but you want to establish a good relationship with your local place as soon as possible. Remember, this is where you will turn for service, consumables etc.
Although it is a good idea to get to know your local welding supply shop, I couldn't find anyone locally who could even come close to touching the price of my Miller 175 through www.cyberweld.com

Here in TN there is a little over 9% sales tax, and that much tax REALLY adds up. Cyberweld was no tax and no shipping - and I had it in like 3 days.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 32885
Thanks for the info guys. But does anyone know which would be the easiest welder to learn on, and still provide good results?

I won't be building a tube chassis next week or anything, but am looking for a welder to get started on basic 4x4 stuff. But I also want something I can grow into.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. But does anyone know which would be the easiest welder to learn on, and still provide good results?
They would all be the same, kind what would be easier to learn to drive, a Honda Toyota or Nissan.

BUY MY BOAT
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...e-history.html
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2004, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 19372
Send a message via AIM to SlamChops Send a message via Yahoo to SlamChops
The fab shop I worked at used Miller pretty much exclusively and a couple Esab. I've been using a friend's Lincoln 135 a lot recently. So my opinion is pretty skewed, but I prefer the Miller machines. There's a huge difference between a 135 and the machines I used at the fab shop though. When I buy my own welder here in the next month or 2 I'm getting the blue (Miller) machine though. Just personal preference. They're heat selection is more or less infinately selectable where as the Hobart and Lincoln have a 1-5 setting or A-E or whatever. Once the machine is set up properly though they should all be on the same basic learning level. They'll all provide good results also, as long as they're setup properly for the metal you're welding.

[URL=http://www.lockitupoffroad.net]Lock It Up Off-Road[/URL]
SlamChops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2004, 12:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 30434
Either go with the lincoln or Miller...don't know why but i have never been a fan of hobart... Lincoln and miller are pretty much the exact same...I have a lincoln SP175-plus...Its a good welder...lays a good bead...but the miller is pretty much the same machine...The only differences i have heard are that the miller has a 6 year warranty and lincoln has a 3...but i've also heard that miller is a bitch to deal with about warranties...That is just hearsay though...

Whatever machine you get make sure it has fully adjustable amp control...Don't remember what it is called but (contiuous maybe?) but that way you can really set it to what you want and not just a,b,c,d,or e

later
Cory

[COLOR=DarkOrange]85 4runner rolled and rebuilt all before 18....sky hysteer,33 boggers,mazdas with 3/4 out back, lincolned rear, rears up front w/ banana shackles and 2.5 drop, marlin clutch, R151 trans, and soon to have maybe a 7mge[/COLOR]
Cory85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2004, 09:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 29459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory85
Either go with the lincoln or Miller...don't know why but i have never been a fan of hobart... Lincoln and miller are pretty much the exact same...I have a lincoln SP175-plus...Its a good welder...lays a good bead...but the miller is pretty much the same machine...The only differences i have heard are that the miller has a 6 year warranty and lincoln has a 3...but i've also heard that miller is a bitch to deal with about warranties...That is just hearsay though...

Whatever machine you get make sure it has fully adjustable amp control...Don't remember what it is called but (contiuous maybe?) but that way you can really set it to what you want and not just a,b,c,d,or e

later
Cory
I have heard it the other way around. Miller seems to have the best service imo. The MM 175 and Hobart have wire speed tracking which adjusts the wire speed with amount of juice you put to it. Some say it is a hinderence, I love my MM175, and would never trade it for anything.
utahusker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2004, 04:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Quote:
Either go with the lincoln or Miller...don't know why but i have never been a fan of hobart... Lincoln and miller are pretty much the exact same...

Hobart is Miller, Miller is Hobart.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 8713
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM
Hobart is Miller, Miller is Hobart.
My Hobart 175s gun came with Miller on the handle.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 3236
Quote:

later
Cory

Both the ITW (Illinois Tool Works) machines (Hobart and Miller) and Lincoln all have comparable 3 year warranty's.

Hobart and Miller are both divisions of ITW, hence the similarities between the machines.

Adjusting your wire speed and stickout also changes how much heat input you have. With 4,5 or 6 pots and adjusting these two variables you do have infinite adjustments. Infinite voltage adjustment is nice to have but I would definitely not base a purchasing decision on this feature.

Luckily I live within a half hour of a Miller authorized repair center and the longest repair turnaround time on a machine for me has been 24 hours when Miller had to send a new control panel from IL. to Alberta. My shortest turnaround time has been 15 minutes.

I would go down to your local welding supply store and tell them what you want and what prices you have from other retailers. You are still going to need a bottle of shielding gas, contact tips, gas nozzles, wire, welding helmet, gloves etc. I am assuming. See what kind of deal they can give you on the total package and you may be surprised. These are the guys you will be going to for consumables and advice in the future so now is the time to set up a good relationship with them that will save you money and heartache for years to come.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 22721
Send a message via MSN to TheRipper Send a message via Yahoo to TheRipper
Try the Hobart 135 for basic needs.I have one laying around as a back up and loaned it to my buddy to build his buggy.He is having no problem since he burned his 175 mac tools welder up.He is using 1.90 x .135 wall tubing and it burns through fine.I would say go with the Hobart because it is the same welder as a Miller just cheaper price but the same quality...If the Lincon is cheaper go with it because they are very good welders also.I have used all 3 welders I believe in the past few years.Just do not buy a stinking Century they suck ass and everyone of them I have used stays hot meaning you touch the wire and it sparks with no trigger pull.I really hate that in a machine.

[URL="http://www.crackslinger.com/login.php"]http://www.crackslinger.com/login.php[/URL]

[URL=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313836]Link's to rockwell question's and info...[/URL]

[URL="http://www.ouversonengineering.com/"][SIZE="5"]http://www.ouversonengineering.com/[/SIZE][/URL]

Last edited by TheRipper; 07-25-2004 at 06:55 PM.
TheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2004, 07:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 31129
Send a message via MSN to CJ-7traildriver
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM

I noticed the other day that Hobart upped their line - essentially rebadging the Handler 135 to a 140, and the 175 to a 180. I am guessing they are trying to differentiate between the Miller 135/175 welders. I haven'tcross referenced the specs yet, but I bet the new Hoabrt 180 is no different than the old Hobart 175.
They talk about these on the Hobart site. The 140 isn't the same as the 135 hobart nor is the 180 the same as the 175. If I recall they are exactly the same as the miller 135 and the 175 now. So basicly better off just buying the Hobart since is less money.I think they also up the numbers since lincoln small machines are numbered as such. Is just marketing.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cranky Moderator

Member # 2026
Send a message via AIM to steveh
I don't see how anyone could go wrong with any of these. I have a Hobart 175, and it works great!
Rubicon Trail Foundation
"Wow this is unbelievable"
10th Anniversary Cantina For the 'Con 2014
steveh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2004, 09:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 32885
Ok, so far I've decided I want either the Miller or the Hobart.

I've found my best deals at www.brwelder.com (I know this isn't my local welding shop, but they're expensive and have sales tax)

I can get the Hobart 180 with cart for $627 and the Miller 175 for $695.

Is the extra $68 worth it for the Miller? If it is, I don't mind paying it. I just don't want to pay $68 for a blue box and "Miller" on the side.

Which would you buy?

Also, is www.brwelder.com a good place to buy from?
Old 07-26-2004, 03:30 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 31129
Send a message via MSN to CJ-7traildriver
Quote:
Ok, so far I've decided I want either the Miller or the Hobart.

I've found my best deals at www.brwelder.com (I know this isn't my local welding shop, but they're expensive and have sales tax)

I can get the Hobart 180 with cart for $627 and the Miller 175 for $695.

Is the extra $68 worth it for the Miller? If it is, I don't mind paying it. I just don't want to pay $68 for a blue box and "Miller" on the side.

Which would you buy?

Also, is www.brwelder.com a good place to buy from?
Search here they discussed these machines http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/...ighlight=hh180

Last edited by CJ-7traildriver; 07-26-2004 at 03:41 AM.
CJ-7traildriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2004, 08:36 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 12414
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh
I don't see how anyone could go wrong with any of these. I have a Hobart 175, and it works great!
I'll second this one, my Hobart 175 is great.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:51 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 6291
If this were my first welder I'd definitely get the Hobart. The wire speed tracking and the infinite voltage adjustment of the Miller is a hindrance to the beginner. That said I've had a Hobart 175 for about 4 years now and have never had a problem with it and have used it alot.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:55 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 13880
there are only a few differences between a hobart and a miller and when and if these parts on your hobart break you can replace them with MM175 ones...
Rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2004, 09:40 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 32885
Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus
If this were my first welder I'd definitely get the Hobart. The wire speed tracking and the infinite voltage adjustment of the Miller is a hindrance to the beginner. That said I've had a Hobart 175 for about 4 years now and have never had a problem with it and have used it alot.
Everyone else agree on this? If so, I'll probably get the Hobart. Which actually is great, because it's the cheaper one.

BUT, for $68 more....would you rather have a blue one? Why?
Old 07-27-2004, 06:56 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 14644
I have the MM175, I love it! It's about 2 years old, no probs here. I've never used a Hobart, but may end up with the Hobart 210 instead of the MM210 because I can get a killer deal on it. I'd say go with the Hobart and see how it does. Saves money and they seem to be doing fine....
Greg
bignissan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2004, 08:01 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 30615
The contractors and millwrights I work with at Toyota say that you can't beat the millers. Said if you get down to doing thin sheet metal you'll really wish you had the adjustability of the miller. I've been working on getting one for a while and asking them a bunch of questions. They say the miller tops all of em.

Many BIG plans but me and my wallet disagree a little!
motrhedx81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2004, 11:01 AM   #25 (permalink)
D60
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6398
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignissan
I have the MM175, I love it! It's about 2 years old, no probs here. I've never used a Hobart, but may end up with the Hobart 210 instead of the MM210 because I can get a killer deal on it. I'd say go with the Hobart and see how it does. Saves money and they seem to be doing fine....
Greg
I've got the Hobart 210 and it works fine, but it's not like I'm a professional fab shop. The Miller does come with the better gun (M25 I believe) while the H210 only gets the M10 gun.

All in all I have no complaints with the H210, it melts metal together. Works for me (shrug)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.