Shop Layout for 30' x 50' - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2004, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 9576
Shop Layout for 30' x 50'

Shop -- take II

I suck at paint (understatement). Still trying to get an idea
of how to layout the shop. Looks like the SO has agreed
to a METAL building (0ne story). Extra room for the house will
be under the roof (second story addition for 400 sq ft).

So back to the shop.

30' x 50' x 14' (I like camo's comment about going UP!).

The bathroom is in the "middle" (toilet, sink, shower) as the SO's
Honda will park in front of it. 16' wide door allows two cars to park.

FRONT:
16' x 8' door. Two cars can park
10' x 10' door. Truck or RV???

SIDES:
TWO doors... we get a nice breeze and I like the ventilation while welding.

Thought is to build a "chemical" room with the parts cleaner, chemicals,
and a small "touch up" paint area. About 6' wide x 10' deep. Exhaust fan.

Office is 9' wide x 10' deep. Clean room for the desk/chair/fridge. Also
I like rebuilding engines in a clean area (no dust). Allows for a small AC
unit for those summer months (& place to sleep when I bring another
plane/FJ40 home!)

Above the office/mill/lathe is a storage area 10' deep. 30' wide. Lots of crap can get stored up there.

Compressor will be OUTSIDE in it's own building.

With the 14' walls.... there is a TON of storage area above the 7' level! No more steping over sticks of tubing!

HELP -- front door is 10' x 10'. Is that large enough for a large RV? Or should I have a 12' tall door installed? Thinking future resell & who knows in 20 years I might not be able to climp into a cruiser! Meanwhile there is plenty of room for a full sized lift, welding stuff, and room to build a fusalage/wings.

Getting pysched... It has been over two years since I had a shop to work in!

Tom
Attached Images

Last edited by fj40guy; 07-27-2004 at 02:44 PM.
fj40guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 14055
I'm jealous, very, very, jealous
PekingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2004, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 32401
Send a message via Yahoo to hotwheelsYJ
Our "low profile" 21' camper is 9'8" to the top of AC unit.
I would go with at least a 12' door, 14' if it will fit.
standard semi max height is 13'6", alot of the 5th wheel campers go by that.

Make sure you can fit your rig sitting on a trailer in that door.
It makes it nice after a long trip (especially if its broke) to just back it in and leave it till you can get some rest.

Move the head to the corner by the chems to open up your work area.

Hope this helps a little
hotwheelsYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 9576
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheelsYJ
Our "low profile" 21' camper is 9'8" to the top of AC unit.
I would go with at least a 12' door, 14' if it will fit.
standard semi max height is 13'6", alot of the 5th wheel campers go by that.
THANKS! Sounds like 12' is best, 14' if I can fit it.

Pekingman.... last two years have been without a garage! My poor Milling Machine & Lathe sitting forlone on the slab sitting there. Nothing worse than having machines you can not use (I covered them with LPS #3, then crated them to keep the weather at bay).

Oh... The head does seem in the "middle" but that keeps that #$%^ Honda from sneaking too far into the shop. Also I like the idea I can hang plastic and have a "spray booth" area between the head and office. My poor kids... if they want a car when they turn 16, it better be a beater than they put some sweat equity into. [Two kids... both eyeing Mom's '93 Honda Accord & a dead '92 240SX]

Tom
Old 07-28-2004, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 13235
I built a 36X40X14 and went with 2-12X12 garage doors. No real sense in having tall ceilings if you have a short door?
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 9576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock
I built a 36X40X14 and went with 2-12X12 garage doors. No real sense in having tall ceilings if you have a short door?
Are both doors in the front?

I need that larger front door (shown as 16' wide, 8 tall) rigged with a garage door opener. Yep, place for the spouse to park her Honda out of the sun.

I'm still plotting on ways to build storage UP above that garage door.

For anything BIG... I'll have the other door (shown as a 10' x 10'... but will go
taller with a 12' high) door.

Tom
Old 07-28-2004, 01:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 13235
Yes both doors are in front. Since you are 30 wide it will be a tighter fit than mine but it will still work.

wall [ 2ft space ] 12X12 door [ 2 ft space ] 12X12 door [ 2ft space ] wall

It will fit and it will not interfear with your loft in the back. Plus you will be able to park just about anything in it. The wife could drive a monster truck and still park it out of the sun.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 2967
On your upstairs part, I put me stick rack on it, its 25 foot long and i am able to hand long piece of metal on it. ideal place for one.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 6957
nice sized shop alright first i'll tell you what i'd change then i'll show you my "plan" first the chem room 6 x 10 is small like closet small, the head in the middle its a good place but i moved it to utilize space, doors w/ 14'walls i'd do 12 x 12 and lastly didn't see a walk in door.
heres what i did i made the bathroom , the office and clean room all along one 30' wall the bathroom is 6' x 8'(about standard in a home) office 10' x 10' and the clean room is large at 14' x 10' but i'd put cabinets up for storage and it would be nice to have parts that where kepted some what clean all the doors would 12' x 12' i liked your idea of a pull thur so i left that alone. pain on the comp is not my strong point much rather draw by hand but then you couldn't see what i did.
Attached Images

Last edited by ironpig70; 07-28-2004 at 09:39 PM.
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 02:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by fj40guy
Are both doors in the front?

I need that larger front door (shown as 16' wide, 8 tall) rigged with a garage door opener. Yep, place for the spouse to park her Honda out of the sun.

I'm still plotting on ways to build storage UP above that garage door.

For anything BIG... I'll have the other door (shown as a 10' x 10'... but will go
taller with a 12' high) door.

Tom
I just started putting up a "track" type of shelving system along one wall of my shop.

I'm putting a shelf across the top of it, then using the remaining 5+ feet of wall height (and "tracks") for steel stock.

Mix and match short and long shelf brackets as needed to store steel on.

Got it from HD.

I mention this because the "uprights" are slotted on one end, and they sell a truss-mount piece that you would attach to the truss, then hang these uprights from the truss.

You can then add shelves, or just a single shelf, or whatever.

This would let you add shelving OVER the garage door, in otherwise wasted space, by suspending shelves from the ceiling.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
dcs

Member # 5271
Grizzley has a new on-line shop layout program. Too bad you can't export to a CAD format... It has their mills, lathes, drill presses, etc to scale though.

http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.cfm
dcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 08:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 6946
I have been working out of a 30x50 shop for the last 8 years, I am counting the days untill the 60x100 building is done. I would not put the head anywhere other than a corner, and as far a way from a roll up door as possible. 1500 sq is a small space, it is quite difficult to move trucks around with out having a building inside of your building. I would never let a SO park a daily driver in the shop, this may not be an option for you but, the first time you pitt the windshield with grinder sparks you will wish you had put up with the grief and told her how it was going to be. All cars that are under waranty, stay out of the shop. No Christmas, no toys, no clothes, nothing but tools and trucks. Site some bizare fire code to prove your point, have one of your firefighter buddies tell her it is against the national fire code. You get the point.
Above my office and head, I have a storage area, it is only like 68inches tall. It is where all doors, windshields, and all the storage boxes that I can fit go. The stairs going up to it make a perfect enclosure for the compressor, the bead blasting cabinet fits infront of the stairs, and the whole thing takes up as much space as the compressor, and ladder I had used before building the stairs.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 9576
Lots of idea's from Camo's shop thread.... time to update this one. Starting to rethink the office area & storage requirements. Front doors have both been changed to 12' x 12' (less brick required when done) and will allow roof rack transported tube to be unloaded in the shop on rainy days.

Tom
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2004, 10:24 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 12283
I agree with moving the head next to the chem room - May help with plumbing too as I would most definitly put a slop sink in the chem room.

To prevent the SO's car from going too far -- Put up some shelves or something. And your spray booth could easily be the SO's parking spot (without the car in it, of course).
teajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 12:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 26216
Send a message via Yahoo to Gummi Bear
Does your Chem Room have a ceiling?

Regardless, it will be a classified location. Class 1 Div 1, just like an airplane hanger or commercial garage (anything under 'x' feet) will need to be explosion proof. Also, look into a proper fan for the area, you'll want to vent it.

Also - it's mighty nice of you to build your wife such a big storage area. She'll fill it with Christmas decorations and crafts that are too cute not to bring home. Build her a carport for the Honda, don't allow her in your sacred space.

Don't give in man...

Put up a 'No Girls Allowed' sign now!
Old 12-17-2004, 06:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 37690
Send a message via Yahoo to blackrider
you can get a little more room with a roll up door,they don't block the lighting when opened
4.3 vortec/tbi,yota axles/dual cases,40's,
stauns,oba,4 linked,coilovers,zook tub
[COLOR="blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]NotQuiteRight Wheelers[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
blackrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 07:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 5587
Wow, it's really coming along. I am SUPER Jealous!
I think the 12' doors will fill the bill a lot better for you. My motorhome measures 11' 3" to the top of the satillite dish in stowed position. Tallest part of the Coach. I was going to use roll up doors on my new shop, but wanted them insulated. So, I'm going to use panel door instead. My motorhone door is 12' X 12' and the middle door is 16"X 12'. That should allow me to pull my trailer in the shop with the truck on it with no problem. The SO will not be parking her Miata in the shop, nor her Hot Rod Trooper after I finish building it. But I have to move all my junk out of the garage inorder to park in it.
I throw sparks everywhere and learned with my last shop that metal dust goes into everything. I went through 2 TV's before I figured out I needed to protect them.
Not to sure why everyone wants an office inside the shop. Unless there is absolutly no place for one inside the house. Just sealing an office from the fumes and dust would be a nightmare in my opinion. Now a bathroom, refrigerator, microwave, tv and killer stereo makes sence. But hey, that's just me.

We pour mine the Monday after Christmas. Got the assembly blueprints today!

SSSRodeo
SSSRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 07:25 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 9576
Ya, will be nice when the shop is done. I have a contractor to the metal panels, but the sucker shows up for an hour then books! Part of it is those 16' x 3' panels (roof) with any breeze is a nightmare to handle. I'll do the finishout, and electrical, but really wanted the building up and "dry" as quickly as possible... so farmed it out. Part of the issue is the slab was poured for a wooden structure, not a metal building... (no base lip) so the frame had to be adjusted an inch here, inch there, to get the siding to line
up just right.

Office... currently in the house, in an open area. Way too many "honey do's" come my way when I'm on the computer. A lot fewer interruptions if I'm out of sight! Office will have the old couch, fridge, computer, TV.... Cool place for me and the kids to hand out.

CHEM ROOM: Exterior Fan (explossion proof). Fan/Lights will be on a timer so fan is run for 60 seconds prior to lights or power. Ditto, fan runs for 60 seconds after lights turned off. I'm finding some cheap explosion proof motors, but not fans. Idea with the fan is to suck out any fumes. Air filters and "rubber truck flaps" will keep dust out, and allow air to flow into the room when the fan is on. Flaps basically seal the room from the shop area when the fan is off (not 100% of a seal, but limits lots of fumes).

OFFICE: Thinking A/C space. Room will be slightly pressurized with clean air (filtered) blowing into it. Keeps dust, weld splatter, etc out of there. I'm really starting to appreciate "CAMO style office" being above in the loft. Books, computers, blueprints, etc that I want to keep clean. Wall unit for A/C & heat. Shop is insulated! Insulated doors. Positive ventilation: A couple of old 100 CFM's fans can be used.

Tom
Old 12-18-2004, 09:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 5587
I guess I should explain. My office is in the house already and we're empty nested. Not many distractions after the wife leaves for work. I don't usually leave until I have all my paper work done and the traffic dies down. I took over the sun room at the back of the house and have windows on three sides. I can see the private planes take off on nice days from my desk. We get straffed by War Bird several times a week as several of the plane owners back there have a lot of WWII pilot buddies. Realy cool I think. Even get an ocassional military helo buzzing the field.
I just do a lot of grinding and have enough problems keeping my computers working.
Keep us up to date on the progress. I'll start a tread on mine, once we gat more than just the stakes out there.
SSSRodeo
Old 01-02-2005, 07:42 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 9576
Slow progress. Walls up.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2005, 09:24 AM   #21 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 5587
Wow that's great! I wish mine was that far along. We did get the foundation poured Friday. What a mess. I had to keep an eye on the truck drivers the whole time. every one of thse jerks wanted to drive out across the yard. They were making rutts up to 14 inches deep getting turned around. One asshat cement truck driver (load # 7) turned around in the F*king front yard. Good thing my wife wasn't home. She'd have shot his ass. I didn't have my back turned for more that 30 seconds and he's tearing up the front grass. This is all farm land out here and soft as hell! But, we've got 72 yards of concrete in the foundation. Good timing! Was beginning to think it wouldn't get done. It's raining today and the price of concrete went up almost $5.00 a yard Saturday. Good thing I made friends with the owner of the Concrete Company last Fall. He honored his Fall price. Even when we had to order an extra 12 yards to finish. The concrete trucks were so heavy and tore up the yard so bad on the first load I had to call a halt to it all and order a pumper truck. Luckly he was only 20 minutes down the road and arrived before the second load got here. I made them all, but that #7, turn around in the street and back down the driveway.
The building is being delivered the 10th of this month. Had to fight with the Building Manufacturer when they called to say that the delivery date they originally set up would not be good, as they would be closed that week. I called B.S. you should have know that, before you set the Delivery Date in the first place. I've got a crew already scheduled to be here th week of the 10th to unload the thing and start putting it up as soon as it gets here. Had a hell of a time finding a date the Erection Crew could work me in on, due to other larger projects they've already scheduled in January, Febuary & March. If I had to reschedule the erection crew, I may not have anyone to unload the building until late spring. Maybe Summer before they could stand it up.

I've got pictures loaded on a Web Hosting site, just waiting to get them set up for public viewing. Should be Monday. Guess I'll have to start my own Shop Thread then.
Your is looking good!

SSSRodeo