Can I MIG weld Aluminum? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2004, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 10736
Can I MIG weld Aluminum?

I have a lincoln power mig 200 with 0.35 wire and 75% argon 25% CO2 mix. On the inside cover there is a wire speed temperature diagram for steel stainless steel and aluminum. Do I need to change anything to weld aluminum? Is it the same as steel? I just use the welder to fix junk on the farm, it is a good machine for this job, but thought it would be neat to try aluminum.
masonmachines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 16737
Yes you can, but run straight Argon only. Pull the weld rather than push.
[edit] forgot to mention you need aluminum wire [edit]

Last edited by Toploader; 08-03-2004 at 09:08 PM.
Toploader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2004, 09:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2892
Send a message via AIM to Pavement Pounder83 Send a message via Yahoo to Pavement Pounder83
spool gun is what u need.

Drew
All Stock
1993 Xr650L
[COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.startprepared.com/forums/"]http://www.startprepared.com/forums/[/URL][/COLOR]
Isautia[88:54] Delta World, Town: PBB Broski
Pavement Pounder83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 10:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 10736
aluminum wire... DAMN. well next time i get the bottle filled (in about 8 months) i will consider getting argon and a small spool of aluminum wire. What is a spool gun and what does a spool gun do? Thanks for the info.
masonmachines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 11:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 13028
A spool gun holds the spool of aluminum wire at the end of the gun instead of down in the welder chassis. It's tough to feed all the way though the wire sheath, roller pressure will distort the wire. I think you can get a sheath lined with teflon that feeds smoother but I don't know if they have something better for the rollers yet.
[URL=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377480][B][COLOR="Red"]Malvado Grande #1[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
JeepinDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 08:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 13069
I have the M200 and I think it needs some kind of adapter kit too. I don't think its like the Miller where you just need the spool gun. Anyway, the spoolgun + adapter kit lists for $621 on the lincoln site. Seems like it needs a different gas solenoid too (included in kit). A little pricy for me. Sometime Miller throws the spoolgun in for free on year end sales (for you guys interested in buying a Miller welder).
Just-fabricate-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 10:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 32766
Send a message via AIM to MattyL13
FWIT, Ive welded aluminum with my little hobart 135. no spool gun. but i used 75-25. i only had a little bit to patch up on my tcase. it was a little tricky but it worked. if i had to weld anything more than that i would have used one set up properly with a spool gun and staright argon. 75-25 will work for aluminum but you cant get the penetration you can get by using straight argon. also be sure to pull the puddle like stated above, youll get better penetration that way. like i said, i didnt do it the "right way" but i got it done

Lord

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty, to the optimist, half full, to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

00 TJ. 318, NV4500HD, 231, 44 locked on 35's. Work in progress
MattyL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 28045
It is possible to find aluminum welding rod and just gas weld, you need to have stuff super clean either way. Aluminum takes a lot of heat compared to steel, the conductivity pulls heat away faster. For the most part MIG aluminum is expensive and hard for most people to justify. You might pick up a small TIG machine that plugs into your welder, we have a Miller TIG but I don't know about Lincoln. I tend to stay away from Lincolns unless they are powered by a Detroit diesel.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 4001
If the 200 is like the lincoln 255, then you don't need a spool gun at all..just a new liner, some different drive plates, different gas and al wire. My 255 doesn't use traditional rollers and there's no room for it to birdnest. I hear it's about $400 total with the new bottle..i was going to buy it for my Mig, but my buddy bought a TIG so we just trade now...
Old 08-07-2004, 09:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 2159
Send a message via ICQ to Supergper Send a message via AIM to Supergper Send a message via MSN to Supergper Send a message via Yahoo to Supergper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout Dude
If the 200 is like the lincoln 255, then you don't need a spool gun at all..just a new liner, some different drive plates, different gas and al wire. My 255 doesn't use traditional rollers and there's no room for it to birdnest. I hear it's about $400 total with the new bottle..i was going to buy it for my Mig, but my buddy bought a TIG so we just trade now...
I hope you caught onto this post...one of the most important things was mentioned here...a new liner, if you try to run it through the same liner you are running you steel through you are gonna end up with contaminated wire, and no matter how clean your area is its likely gonna weld like shit...

get some 4043 wire and straight argon and a new liner, new rollers depending on size of wire and you are all ready to go ...if you are just going to do it for "fun" then its gonna be expensive but if you actually have a project to do then its totally worth it...
Old 08-08-2004, 02:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 24837
back at school we had a lincoln cobramatic dedicated to aluminum only. pulsed mig, and it was setup to feed off a big spool on the machine. it made welds that looked almost as good as tig

when welding aluminum of any kind, the rule of thumb is to keep it CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! any kind of contamination or oxidization on your aluminum will fawk up a weld.
kyle_22r is offline   Reply With Quote