Tool Control foam. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2004, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2967
Tool Control foam.

Anyone know where you can get the foam that you put in toolbox drawers, the kind you cut out for tools? I need a shitload and the stuff snappy has is a fucking rip off. sears aint cheap either. Im thinking of finding just 1/2" thick foam.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9222
believe it or not i use indoor/outdoor carpet. i have the blue stuff. cut to size and glue it down.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2004, 03:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2967
I want the shit you cut out for the tools, not just a liner, i got that already.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 21409
try a craft store or fabric store, they have large blocks of foam, in different thickness usually.
Pyagid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 07:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 34936
Never tried this before, but have you thought of spraying 'great stuff' expanding foam in, letting it start to cure a little, then dipping the tool in to create a depression? Have it wrapped in glad wrap to keep the GS from sticking. Great Stuff makes at least three different levels of expanding foam, look for the kind that is the least expanding
basketcasejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 25152
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcasejeep
Never tried this before, but have you thought of spraying 'great stuff' expanding foam in, letting it start to cure a little, then dipping the tool in to create a depression? Have it wrapped in glad wrap to keep the GS from sticking. Great Stuff makes at least three different levels of expanding foam, look for the kind that is the least expanding
Never thought of that before. I'm goin down to the local H/D to get some and try it. If it works I can think of at least a dozen uses in the truck, not to mention the toolbox. The only 'problem' with the gladwrap would be the esthetics of the finished product, might end up with funky lines from the wrap. I guess I'll soon find out...
Old 11-30-2004, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 21102
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCanuck
Never thought of that before. I'm goin down to the local H/D to get some and try it. If it works I can think of at least a dozen uses in the truck, not to mention the toolbox. The only 'problem' with the gladwrap would be the esthetics of the finished product, might end up with funky lines from the wrap. I guess I'll soon find out...
May want to line your draws with glad wrap too. That way you might be able to remove it as one big chunk.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 34936
well I thought grease at first but I'm not sure how that would interact with the foam. I think there might be a thicker type of wrap that you can stretch tight against the tool to keep it from wrinkling as bad. I know there has to be something capable of doing this but its not coming to mind right now. I think the key to forming would be letting the surface cure, while the inside is still somewhat soft and malleable. Whatever happens, we want pics. I'm sure there are a lot of other things that this stuff is useable for. I remember now a stiffer type of foam I've seen used for shaping molds. I can't remember the name of the stuff. Also while on the same topic, a friend once used a 'caulk' that had a soft, rubbery texture. It expands when exposed to air, making a sort of porous compound like soft work boot soles. This might work too, since it cures more of a soft rubber texture than the hard foam of Great Stuff. I think he bought it at 84 lumber. Not sure if they have those in your neck of the woods...
Old 11-30-2004, 08:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 28196
Would a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" insulation work?
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 24099
Send a message via AIM to ZJim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokeman
May want to line your draws with glad wrap too. That way you might be able to remove it as one big chunk.

Are we still talking about tools?
ZJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 05:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 8203
check A&P mechanic tool sources.

most of them are required to use the foam by the FAA.
the practice is called "tool shadowing" and it's more to keep absent minded mechanics from leaving a ratchet in a turbine than for tidy tool boxes.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 34936
what's A&P?

I Googled tool shadowing and foun this: http://www.leaninnovations.ca/drawer_liners.html
Old 12-01-2004, 07:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 8203
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcasejeep
what's A&P?

I Googled tool shadowing and foun this: http://www.leaninnovations.ca/drawer_liners.html
Airframe and Powerplant
Old 12-01-2004, 09:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
unimogken

Member # 11745
My buddy used big foam squares that he got at Schucks. It the ones with a diamond plate pattern on them so it kinda looks cool. He just traced the tools and cut it with an x-acto blade.

They are used for mats to reduce strain of standing for long periods.