Shop walls: Cinder block or steel??? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2004, 10:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 30339
Shop walls: Cinder block or steel???

I'm going to re-locate to Butte Valley in the next year or so and I need to start thinkin' about the shop. I've talked to the permit office and I can go pretty wild with shop size seeing that I have NOBODY to bother near by and I have 5 acres.... I'm thinking about going with a 30 x 70 shop and it just seems that for cost, insulation, wind resistance, rodent control, noise, ease of construction, etc that cinder blocks for the walls would work awesome. I know Most people use pre-fabbed steel and I've looked into that but I just don't understand why that would be any *better*. From what I've figured out it would cost me about 5-6 grand to get the foundation and walls up if some buddies and I do as much as possible. A couple more G's for the trussed roof and I'm getting close to being dialed.... Am I way ot of the ballpark with my thinking and should I consider other options???

Thanks!!

-Don
Old 12-08-2004, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 31642
WEll cinder block is what I'm using on mine, right now the walls are goins up I have $5200 into it give or take right now, all I have to do is the roof, AZ price on materials, btw it is 30x40x11'6"h. GET'R DONE
Old 12-08-2004, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Chief Big Finger

Member # 36241
The reason I have steel is because it was there when I bought the property. If I were building and the cost were comparable I would go with block. You don't have to maintain either one. You can paint the block and it looks good. From what I've read here it seems people are building cheaper with block. The price of steel right now is insane! A good steel roof will last a long time and be maintenance free. A crappy corrugated low pitch pole barn roof always wants to leak. I'm working on that though.
JeepAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 17904
block does seem the better choice for you, but make sure the foundation is PACKED before the initial pour is done or you're walls will sag and separate. Also, just for kicks and giggles. Have you added in the additional cost of all the conduit for the wiring and such?
HalfFastFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 34516
Huff n' Puff

Remember the story of "The three little Pigs," but then again, I'm the only one in my neighborhood with block walls instead of wood fences. But then again their fathers arent retired masons either. Go block if you can.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 30339
Quote:
Poley .... WEll cinder block is what I'm using on mine, right now the walls are goins up I have $5200 into it give or take right now, all I have to do is the roof, AZ price on materials, btw it is 30x40x11'6"h. GET'R DONE
Very nice... I have to add a little to my estimate....

Quote:
JeepAddict ..... The reason I have steel is because it was there when I bought the property. If I were building and the cost were comparable I would go with block. You don't have to maintain either one. You can paint the block and it looks good. From what I've read here it seems people are building cheaper with block. The price of steel right now is insane! A good steel roof will last a long time and be maintenance free. A crappy corrugated low pitch pole barn roof always wants to leak. I'm working on that though.
My thoughts exactly... I think a few years ago steel would have been much cheaper. In regards to the roof leaking...... we get about .0000000009 inches of rain each year so I think I'll be OK.

Quote:
HalfFastFord...... block does seem the better choice for you, but make sure the foundation is PACKED before the initial pour is done or you're walls will sag and separate. Also, just for kicks and giggles. Have you added in the additional cost of all the conduit for the wiring and such?
Thanks.... I was planning to go a little heavy on the pour just cause the soil is so loose and the building is relatively long and skinny.... I haven't figured in the cost of the added details yet as I'll be able to do that stuff in steps. 100 yards away from the new house I have a 30 x 30 shop to work out of till the big mama is done...

Quote:
Teddy Blue ..... Remember the story of "The three little Pigs," but then again, I'm the only one in my neighborhood with block walls instead of wood fences. But then again their fathers arent retired masons either. Go block if you can.
Thanks ... I think I will......
Old 12-09-2004, 09:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
D60
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6398
With current steel prices I see no reason not to go block. The lack of maintenance on either is sweet IMO. How many of us have time to try to keep our shops looking nice, or even just basic maintenance to prevent rot, etc?

The one nice thing about (uninsulated) steel is that hanging shelving, conduit, electrical boxes and anything else is a breeze. Just use sheetmetal screws for light loads, bolts for heavy loads. With block I assume you'll have use anchors of some sort. But this is easily dealt with.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 8284
What about block in a seismically active area?
DemoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 10:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 30339
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoMike
What about block in a seismically active area?
REBAR...
Old 12-09-2004, 12:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 20730
Send a message via AIM to HaWiiLuVeR
dont forget the insulating characteristics of block since you are in the DESERT!
HaWiiLuVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 07:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 22721
Send a message via MSN to TheRipper Send a message via Yahoo to TheRipper
How much is block going for right now?I am wondering before i start mine and also is there a link to a calcuator somewhere to estimate how much block you will need?Thanks..

[URL="http://www.crackslinger.com/login.php"]http://www.crackslinger.com/login.php[/URL]

[URL=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313836]Link's to rockwell question's and info...[/URL]

[URL="http://www.ouversonengineering.com/"][SIZE="5"]http://www.ouversonengineering.com/[/SIZE][/URL]
TheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 07:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 30339
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRipper
How much is block going for right now?I am wondering before i start mine and also is there a link to a calcuator somewhere to estimate how much block you will need?Thanks..
About a buck a block...... The standard *cinder block* is 18"x8"x8" so it's pretty easy to do the math...
Old 12-11-2004, 12:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 13586
8x8x16 cmu if I'm not mistaken?
dumass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 08:58 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 30339
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumass
8x8x16 cmu if I'm not mistaken?

Oops... yer' right.... too many beers last nite....
Old 05-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 215941
block calculator

I am looking into doing the same given all the bad weather we get in south MS

Below is a block calculator but in the site it has a place to also calculate cement to fill void in blocks as well as calculate mortar needed to set blocks.

http://www.cemexusa.com%2FProductsSe...alculator.aspx
Scott Coxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 227935
If the price is relativity close or not an issue defiantly block.
J&L Fasteners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 45540
Send a message via Yahoo to 72hiboy4x4
Right now I am in a steel framed/ sided shop, and it gets HOT and COLD in the most inappropriate times of year lol.

Also, my shop is 30x90. I am finding that with the long wall filled with pallet racking (36" depth) there isn't a lot of room to get a long truck in the bay, close the doors, and be able to work on the engine area. My next shop will (hopefully) have at least 40' depth inside at the bay doors.

72hiboy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 13786
What about a tilt-up, still solid concrete
KWTMECH is offline   Reply With Quote