Machinists...Need source for shaper tools - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2004, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 25458
Machinists...Need source for shaper tools

I'm getting ready to start on my 404 axle project and this new toy here is going to spline the disk brake hubs, drive shaft flanges and other goodies. I have never found a source for new tooling for shapers. Anyone out there know of anything besides looking on Ebay? Of course I have many tooling supply catalogs, but you just don't see shaper tool holders in any of them. I know I could just make some, but I would perfer to buy the standard holders instead.
Attached Images

CJeep77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 13410
Send a message via ICQ to TJ Fan Send a message via AIM to TJ Fan Send a message via Yahoo to TJ Fan
How much did you give up for the Cinncinatti? There are quite a few place we visit that may have some tooling. Give me a call during the week and I may be able to help out.

Larry
[URL="http://www.mad4wd.com/tek9.asp?pg=rockcrusher"]
Custom Ford 9", Dana 44 & Dana 60 Axles[/URL]
[URL="http://www.mad4wd.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&grp=310"]Dana 60 & Dana 44 High Steer Arms[/URL]
[URL="http://www.mad4wd.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jrgrkme0"]Tube Clamps[/URL]
[URL="http://www.mad4wd.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&grp=290"]Bilstein Shocks - In Stock[/URL]
TJ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2004, 03:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 25458
I gave $380 for it. The 15" swivel vise is almost worth that! It's a 20" machine and in great shape... the feeds and rapids all work. The tool post fits max. 1"x1.5" shank tools. I will give you a call this week Larry! Thanks!
Old 12-12-2004, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 26409
I'm jealous. I've wanted a shaper for a long time. I think you got a good deal That shaper looks like it's in good condition too, as far as you can tell frm a picture anyways. I'm waiting for a deal like that on a 16" to 20" shaper located somewhere in Minnesota or Wisconsin.

Here's a page where a guy made his own tooling for cutting internal splines. Kinzer's web page

If you are not on the Yahoo shaper group already, you might want to sign up. There's lots of good info there. yahoo shaper group There's a another group that is only a repository for more shaper pics too shaper pics group It's worth digging throug the files and pictures of these groups. There's some interesting info there.
jnutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 03:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 18989
I have never run a shaper before, but I have read a lot about them. From what I understand, they just use single point cutters. You grind them yourself from tool steel bits, just like you would hand grind a lathe bit. All the machine supply stores sell tool steel bits.

Book:
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks/prshap/index.html

Last edited by frankenfab; 12-12-2004 at 03:47 PM.
frankenfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 06:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
that guy

Member # 10887
Send a message via AIM to MAD MAC Send a message via Yahoo to MAD MAC
There is no source for new tooling shapers were phased out. IE a shaper spends half its time going backwards not saying they are invalueble at all just not alot of stuff left for them I am also looking for a shaper for the same reasons you got yours. nice find

[/SIZE]
MAD MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 25458
[QUOTE=frankenfab]I have never run a shaper before, but I have read a lot about them. From what I understand, they just use single point cutters. You grind them yourself from tool steel bits, just like you would hand grind a lathe bit. All the machine supply stores sell tool steel bits.

You still need holders for the bits so they are at the proper angle. I cannot just clamp a 1/4" bit in the tool post, as it must be offset from the clapper box. Smaller machines might be that way though.