Exhaust fans in the shop. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2005, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2967
Exhaust fans in the shop.

What do you guys use? I thought i thought of everything for the shop but I was welding today and realized i need some sort of exhaust fan to get the fumes out.. Not something drafty or suck all my heat out(its 20 out now)
Old 01-06-2005, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 6156
i use a standard fart fan with a residential boot taped over the intake and a length of flex hose directed to where i need it..

small, but it works good enough for me.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2005, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 22060
I know they can be had cheaper if you shop around, but I ordered the 10" louver fan for near the welding area from grainger and I love it.
sparky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 28084
I'm getting ready to remodel my kitchen and the hood over the range is an old 1 that actually vents outside. I'm gonna put it in the garage above the workbench for a light/vent. Not sure if that helps you though, unless you wanna get a newer 1 with a microwave in it to make burritos while your welding.

"i use a standard fart fan with a residential boot taped over the intake and a length of flex hose directed to where i need it.."

I'm definitely gonna use the boot/vent hose idea so the fumes don't gotta go past my head first.
K2Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 08:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 16024
Find an old furnace blower fan. They generally run on 2 speeds - are quiet - and free... Easy to plumb into a wall (they fit between studs) and you just need to run 120 power to them. Further, you can stick a dryer duct flange over the intake side and use some of the flexible aluminum tubing to make a purpose driven vent over the welding table...
Old 01-07-2005, 09:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 12283
I use a furnace blower fan also. Neighbor was a HVAC contractor, so I just asked for one. They're widely available for free, and they're handily 110V.

Most are 2 speed minimuim. Lots are 5 or 6 speed. Just keep trying different terminals till you get the speed you want.

Since I live in socal, I just exaust the whole shop, and open the door. Mine is mounted in the rafters and exausts out a whirlybird. hehe... the whirlybird looks like it's goin about 4000 rpm when the fan's on.
teajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 3236
Something like this in 4" with some flex hose sucking close to the arc, you can use a standard exhaust vent for the wall penetration. Better than a big blower (furnace or other) blowing $$$ out the wall in cold weather. Under $50 new for all of the parts you need.

Lincoln and others make these but you have the cost of the extractor ($1500) and filters ($150) to contend with.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 12499
I'm always worried about sucking the shield gas from around the weld.

Box fans from Wal-Mart are cheap and disposable
PTSchram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 06:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 32841
Send a message via AIM to cybergeek23851
Quote:
Originally Posted by glfredrick
Find an old furnace blower fan. They generally run on 2 speeds - are quiet - and free... Easy to plumb into a wall (they fit between studs) and you just need to run 120 power to them. Further, you can stick a dryer duct flange over the intake side and use some of the flexible aluminum tubing to make a purpose driven vent over the welding table...
That is probably the easiest and most modifiable ( add on extra tubing, fans, etc for an extraction system) next to a walmart fan.
cybergeek23851 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 06:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 3245
Quote:
Originally Posted by glfredrick
Its what I have. I made it flexible so that I can use it anywhere for now.

3 speed switches are cheap, and as someone mentioned it is nice not to worry about sucking the shielding gas away from a weld, but it is nice to speed it up to suck paint fumes out of the show.

I also scavenged the exhaust hood from my upcoming remodel - I figured I would toss the fan, run duct to my furnace fan and make a little hooded box for rattle canning and other small messy jobs.

I was thinking about adding one of those cyclonic trash can tops you can get from Grizzly - It would be great for wood working, and I bet it would drop all the grinding crap into the can instead of shooting it outside onto my apple tree! It would likely also prolong the life of the fan.

Jim
Old 01-09-2005, 07:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Doublewide engineer

Member # 6971
I may have gone a little overboard in my shop.

5'x9' smoke hood fabbed out of sheetmetal, 16" duct.