Pirate 4x4 banner

Harbor freight plasma torch?

22K views 45 replies 37 participants last post by  rustywagoneersdotcom 
#1 ·
#4 ·
jnutter said:
Does anyone know if the consumables are compatible with any of the more comon plasma cutters?
No...not a typo. I wanted a plasma cutter really bad, but after doing some research, there only a few companies that make a QUALITY one. Harborr Frieght is not one of them!!! I saved up and purched an ESAB 1500. Yes the biggest/baddest for the size.

When I was originally searching, many claimed "slices 1/2" ---well sure but I guantee you, there will be an awkward cut you are going to have make. And with a cheap machine you'll be pissed!!

If your in Citrus Heights, I live in Poway and my shit is fully portable. So if you have a air source (90+ psi)--I can help you out. Let me know.

#5 ·
Hey!

I'd like to know too! If anyone has one of these and what the results are? I'm going to be doing 5/16" at the most, usually .250 plate. Will this suffice? If not, what's the best NEXT choice.

I don't want to drop $1,500 plus on something I'll use 10 times a year. If I have some 1/2" plate, I'll go to a fab shop!

thanks in advance,

Reflexx :D

#9 ·
Ruffy,

I think you're right! The housing looks identical! The HF ad shows you the rear (intentionally?) and the HTP site shows the front. The specs look similar, but not identical.

I did a little Googling and it comes up with the Microcut 400 is going for about $1,000 to $1,200. If that's the case the HF unit is a steal!

Anyone know the 400 model? comments? reviews???

Reflexx

#10 ·
RufftyTuffty said:
The same website listed also carries parts for the other HF Plasma cutters, at prices they claim that are way cheaper the HF charges.

I'm seriously considering going to go look this weekend at the local HF. I have been un-able to justify dropping $1000 on a plasma cutter, since I would not be using it enough; however, at $500, it could be just good enough for me.

#11 ·
Reflexx said:
Ruffy,

I think you're right! The housing looks identical! The HF ad shows you the rear (intentionally?) and the HTP site shows the front. The specs look similar, but not identical.

I did a little Googling and it comes up with the Microcut 400 is going for about $1,000 to $1,200. If that's the case the HF unit is a steal!

Anyone know the 400 model? comments? reviews???

Reflexx
I have the HTP 380. The 400 replaced it. I have no complaints at all for the price I paid. The HF case looks similar, but the torch looks different and a little too cheesy compared to my HTP 380. The 380 and 400 use the same consumables. I have had it for 2 years now.

#13 ·
Gents,

Just bought it. $500 (on-line sale) + tax + 2 year (no matter what) warranty $620!!!

I spoke to the HTP guys (www.usaweld.com) and they say it's based on the discontinued 380 model. Rated at 36 amps, good for 3/8" steel supposedly.

There's a light for "thermal overload" so I'm assuming that it shuts down to cool off if the unit overheats.

It will be a few weeks before i try it, so we'll see.

Reflexx

#17 ·
Sully,

I agree with you. I've had my share of HF crapola, but the Chinese are not dumb, they learn quickly and make improvements. They may not be innovators, the certaily are getting better at copying. The joke is that the Chinese R&D departments consist of (crappy) Xerox machines. I've gotten off my high-horse about not buying Chinese made stuff, I'm not fighting Wal-Mart and the minions. There's no stopping them untill they have ALL our money.

But from what the guy from HTP (weldusa.com) told me is that he believes that the HF plasma is their discontinued model 380. HF bought out the leftovers from the same source that HTP used.

IF this tool made me money, I'd buy a Lincoln or Miller. But this is just a hobby.

But I'll know for sure in about a week, when I fire mine up. I'm still waiting for my MOTORGUARD filter to show up.

my 2c

Reflexx

#19 ·
Anyone know more about the inner workings of a plasma?

We use 50Hz on our electricity while you use 60Hz. Volts are the same.
Would this influence the working of the plasma cutter?

I asked harbor freight they say I can not use 50Hz, but somehow I feel this is because the guy answering read the same tech info I did on their web page and doesn't really know what he answered, because I also asked HTP America, who manufactures the other unit referenced in this thread as looking similar, and the tech there said no problem to use 50/60Hz.

So anyone who knows if the frequency of the power is a factor in the working of the cutter?

I would really like to get one of these for that price. It's one fifth of a quality and half of a cheapie here...

Tobias, Sweden

#22 ·
tobbjo said:
Anyone know more about the inner workings of a plasma?

We use 50Hz on our electricity while you use 60Hz. Volts are the same.
Would this influence the working of the plasma cutter?

I asked harbor freight they say I can not use 50Hz, but somehow I feel this is because the guy answering read the same tech info I did on their web page and doesn't really know what he answered, because I also asked HTP America, who manufactures the other unit referenced in this thread as looking similar, and the tech there said no problem to use 50/60Hz.

So anyone who knows if the frequency of the power is a factor in the working of the cutter?

I would really like to get one of these for that price. It's one fifth of a quality and half of a cheapie here...

Tobias, Sweden
Generally, the higher the frequency, the greater the efficiency. In your case, this shouldn't cause much of a problem if any at all.

Major deviations of frequency will cause the magic smoke to leak out, but this is usually associated with devices that run on say 440 hz and are attempted to run on 60 hz, or vice-versa.

#23 ·
I bought one, used it for twenty minutes and the insides caught on fire, I heard a popping noise and turned around and it was in flames. I put the flame out and took it back, got a new one and tried again. This time I finished what I was doing and went to turn it off and the switch was broken and wouldn't turn off. I thought "screw this" and took it back and got my money back. When it was cutting the cut was so jagged I could have cut smoother with my torch. Just my two cents.

Medsker

#26 ·
I've owned a Thermal Dynamics model 38 plasma for 5 yrs now, its rated 3/8 clean, 1/2" sever, and I wish it had a little more power, but it does go thru 3/8" clean, just a little slow. If these HFs seem to be crapola, you could probably get a used TD for the same price as a new HF. I use mine at least once a week, sometime it gets heavy usage for periods of time, and it has been flawless for 5 years. I like it better than a friends much more expensive Miller thats rated for 1/2" clean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.