Welding helmet questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2005, 03:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 14455
Welding helmet questions

Well I am looking at getting an Auto Darkening welding helmet and I am wondering what I need to watch for.

For example what are the real differences between something like this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=4379312264
Considering this one for in the truck with the RWII I have

For ARC,SMAW, MIG(Heavy), MIG (Light), GTAW, SAW, PAC, PAW Plasma welding processes and many others, but cannot be used for Laser welding. User-selectable (DIN) variable shades from 9-13, are easily adjusted. Auto switching time is 0.0001 Seconds. Clear shade 4. Viewing area of 90x40mm. Turns on and off automatically. Meets ANSI Z87 standards for eye and face safety. Protects against UV and Infrared (IR) light Utilizes high performance solar cells as power supply. No batteries ever needed.

And something like this one. (other than the larger viewing space and price)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7512713805

Searched but nothing came up.

Last edited by Sapper; 05-04-2005 at 04:52 PM.
Sapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 14455
fixed links
Old 05-04-2005, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 27720
Send a message via AIM to Alz Ryde
Thumbs up

Not being familular with those helmets first hand, I can only tell you what I did. I use a Speedglass helmet at work, it has a BIG window for viewing your work, and is pretty light weight. After buying my welder I came across an add from the same place I bought my welder from ( Indiana Oxygen ) , where I could get a simular Speedglass helmet( bare bones edition without the fresh air system )for a little over $100. This way I'm able to get my batteries, and lenses from work. You might want to check them out, as there a quality helmet. Al

Last edited by Alz Ryde; 05-04-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Alz Ryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 20764
Send a message via AIM to cebby
That solar one is a good idea, but who makes it? Will it be reliable for the long haul? I have a Jackson auto darkening that I've had for over 10 years. It takes one AAA battery. I think I've changed the battery like 4 times. They last plenty long.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 3239
Send a message via AIM to Brad Send a message via Yahoo to Brad
I get so pissed off at solar helmets because once the batteries go dead(then you gotta leave it in the sun to charge em) the hood stays dark. I bought a Miller hood kinda like the one you linked to. Then again I weld everyday all day at work so I wanted a good one. I personally wouldnt trust the cheap hoods to do very well with TIG welding and last I checked you didnt need a hood for SAW(submerged arc welding) since the puddle is under flux If you are going to use the hood a lot, get a good one that is comfortable. I prefer battery powered ones because they will always work and most have indicators of when the batteries get low. Of course they are good for like 3000 hours(of welding) so it will be a while before you need to change them
Old 05-04-2005, 06:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 144
The ONLY problem with my speedglas is that it's not rated for overhead welding... cause it's so light It's worth the extra $$ really. I also prefer the battery powered hoods.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 42255
I have a Miller and a Lincoln, the only problem I have is the Miller will "time out" after like 15 minutes, so if you working for while, tack a tube in place, head over to the bender, have a cup of coffee, answer the phone when you get back to your project pop on your helmet, and BAM low level flash.

The Lincoln Helmet is always on if you leave the switch on.
Ian from Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 26210
Send a message via AIM to GoingOffRoading
I have a hobart hoodie... love it
GoingOffRoading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 9390
Send a message via ICQ to Diesel_Cruiser
I bought one of those cheaper brand X style welding helmets, and the thing wasn't worth shit. It felt crappy, didn't have a good fit, when it darkened it was too dark for low amp welding (non adjustable type helmet) and the thing that bothered me the most, when you had to do some quick cleanup grinding inbetween welds, you couldn't use this helmet because the sensors were too sensitive and the helmet darkened so you couldn't see what you were doing.

I tried it out for 15 minutes, took it back to the store, ponied up for a Speedglass welding helmet, it was a world of difference! Nice clear view of the weld, no problems when grinding, and it's a very tough helmet (it has survived many crashes into the wall when things aren't going the way i want it :-) ).

1980 Bj40, home built shackle reversal, rollcage, Lj70 front discs, Bj60 Power steering,...

1978 blonde, no need for any upgrades :-)

Al Bundy: " This is what being a man is all about, making mistakes and not caring!!"
Diesel_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 11922
Send a message via MSN to Devil Dog Send a message via Skype™ to Devil Dog
i have that first helmet.. and its not bad... i usually do about an hour or so of welding on the weekends... mig... and dont have any problems with it... except that it doesnt cover your head a lot...so if you do anything above your melon... you need a hat on under it... but for the price.. its worth it.. ill get a better one here sometime.. but i started with the el cheapo helmet when we got the welder.. and i cant go back to it now with this one...

'09, '11, '13 and 2014 King of the Hammers

[B][I]BUCK[/I] Wild Racing[/B]
Team 911

[B]Degenerate[/B]
Team 488

[B]O.G. "Wreckin' Crew"[/B]
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 45243
I used the Huntsman VS for years. It's a great lens, no complaints. It finally got smacked hard and had to be retired. My work ponied-up for a Huntsman VXL 4X4. It works in tight/confined places without "lens flutter" (4 sensors) and it used to be the largest viewing area available. I've had it for 3 years, and changed the battery a few times. I would look to buying a seperate lens, and then a helmet of your own choice.
ToddRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:29 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 24886
Send a message via AIM to nmscout
I like the Optrels and the Jackson NEX GEN.
Dana 300
35's
4.56's

nmscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:37 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 15186
For the last two years Ive used the Jackson Apprentice solar autodarkening hood. I got it off of ebay for under $100 and I have yet to have any problems with it. The only time I have flashed myself with it is when something gets in the way of the sensor
Rock-Wear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 25062
Send a message via AIM to SquattyD
you can get a miller/hobart hood for cheaper than that...like the XLI model, rather than the the XLIX. or get a lower level 3M Speedglas. Something around $150 or so. The ebay and HF cheapos are crap.
SquattyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4669
I've used a Harbor Freight special, the Miller Elite big window, and the Jackson Next Gen. The Next Gen is my favorite of the bunch and the only one I use now. Has a big window, protects to a shade 14 EVEN in the clear state. The thing I like best about the Jackson is the amberish shade of the lens in the dark state... It's probably personal preference, but I get a MUCH clearer view of the arc and puddle than the green of the Miller and most other hoods.
crashinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 01:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 11808
Send a message via AIM to XJGPN2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmscout
I'll second on the NEX GEN. here... I have a Lincoln and a NEX GEN... The extra viewing area in the NEX GEN is really nice... I never was very happy with the Lincoln.
XJGPN2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 03:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 14455
Well I bought the first one for in the truck and I guess I will pony up for a better one for the house with the millermatic 175. I see a lot of use in it for the very soon future and I want something I can trust.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 20764
Send a message via AIM to cebby
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmscout
I just picked up a NEX GEN for myself. It is simply incredible. Before it darkens, it's barely shaded at all...

My son gets to use my old Jackson auto darkening. Is 7 too young for him to learn how to weld?
Old 06-22-2005, 09:00 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 43033
I got to use my first auto dark one just a week or two ago. That was way nice. not having to do the flip all the time sure was nice. Going to for sure pick one up when they go on sale again.
jdogg4 is offline   Reply With Quote