Pole Barn question - Skirt board - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2005, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 37755
Pole Barn question - Skirt board

Hey all,

Im a newbie as far as posts go but have been around for a little while. Great info from everybody.

I am having a 24x32x10 pole barn built in the next month or so.

For those who have seen them installed, I am being told that they are going to build it 4" off the ground. Which means I would back fill with stone up to the bottom of the skirt board and than the concrete which will also be 4".

Should I prepare the area 4" below ground level so that once the barn is built it will be level with the ground and I can just fill in with stone?

Hopefully this makes sense. Thanks.
Jerseywheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 48716
Send a message via AIM to VerticalTRX
We put up a 42x96x16 shed a few years ago (built by Morton buildings) and all we did was level the site. They built it aproximatly 3" above grade and we backfilled around the outside with topsoil, gravel in the shed half and poured a concrete floor in the shop half. Its important to have them build it above grade and backfill acordingly for drainage reasons, you don't want your building in a 4" deep pit
VerticalTRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2005, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Axes of E-ville

Member # 48097
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerticalTRX
We put up a 42x96x16 shed a few years ago (built by Morton buildings) and all we did was level the site. They built it aproximatly 3" above grade and we backfilled around the outside with topsoil, gravel in the shed half and poured a concrete floor in the shop half. Its important to have them build it above grade and backfill acordingly for drainage reasons, you don't want your building in a 4" deep pit
x2

Ideally, a foundation should be 3"-6" above grade depending on your surrounding grades and regional rainfall amounts. Believe me, when a deluge comes, you'll be glad your barn floor is a reasonable height above grade.

Also, as far landscaping, you can always add dirt to raise the grade, but you cannot do the same to a concrete foundation....without tremendous effort.
Aces'n'8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 43499
I just had my Morton building put up. I already had the site leveled but I put my gravel base down to bring it up more. That way they could build it on the new grade and if you want gravel around the perimeter is already there. It is also easier than having to jockey bucket after bucket inside the structure once it is completed.

Hope it helps

Last edited by jheady; 08-25-2005 at 12:14 PM. Reason: adding text
jheady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 37755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces'n'8s
x2

Ideally, a foundation should be 3"-6" above grade depending on your surrounding grades and regional rainfall amounts. Believe me, when a deluge comes, you'll be glad your barn floor is a reasonable height above grade.

Also, as far landscaping, you can always add dirt to raise the grade, but you cannot do the same to a concrete foundation....without tremendous effort.
I hear what you guys are saying but if I had them put the garage on my property as is, the floor would be 8" off the ground... Because they build the garage 4" off the surface. So I am asking if it would be suggested to put 4" of stone in the ground (below ground level). This would put the garage sitting on ground level and 4" of concrete would be above ground level.

Does this make sense or am I missing something?

Thanks
Old 08-26-2005, 04:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 43499
I wanted any possible water drainage to run away from the building. I put the gravel on top of the ground and it was built up from there. That way any water would not stand around your support post. The only thing I cut into the ground was the sub base #2 rock for the drive/parking area. I have added 5/7s on top of that, and could still use a little more.
jheady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 05:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 35525
I screwed a sheet of black plastic with lathe to the bottom of my building about 2 feet wide all the way around. I then put gravel on top to grade. It is now 15 years old and still there and I have great drainage and very few weeds around the shop. No maintenance ever. I just shoot some Roundup around once a year.
unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 01:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 37755
Anybody have any pictures of their buildings set up off the ground like this? I would like to see what it looks like after built.