Pirate 4x4 banner

Vinyl cutter's anyone use them here?

966 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  TheRipper 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone here uses vinyl cutters and what kind?I see the better models and the cheaper models that go a little slower and then the really cheaper models.I figured I might stay away from the really cheap ones.But I mainly want one just to make small stuff here at the house and to also make templates for brakets to cut out and maybe airbrush templates.

#2 ·
I have a 24" vinyl express model. It works great for small stuff and is quick enough for me. On large plots (over 6 feet) it will get about 1/4" off track sometimes, and I will need to redo (crappy if you only have that much vinyl left)

It works great for airbrushing masks etc..

#4 ·
I bought it from www.signwarehouse.com I found them through their ebay adds. I have made about 10 orders from them and two have been short (not backordered mind you). The original order with my software and plotter was fine. It works great for windshield banners and the like.

Be careful with the ebay plotters, make sure they come with some software.

#6 ·
I have a Roland Camm1 30" machine. It paid for itself after about 6 months and just part time stuff. Keep in mind this was also an expensive machine at the time. For perosonal stuff small cutters are fine. I started off with a small Roland machine like this . Once people got wind that I had a sticker machine it kind of just took off from there. A trucking company and others started hitting me up, that is when I moved up to the bigger machine. I even got some government work (just for info, you can get a small business licence and work out of your home, at least in my area you can). I get all my supplies from Sign Supply of Kentucky because they normally have free shipping on vinyl and good package deals especially if you are starting out.

#7 ·
Also I forgot to mention if you are just going to do hobby, the small Roland Stika machine has a nice easy to use program. For bigger more professional stuff, keep in mind that you will want to invest in a good vinyl cutting program, these are pricey, but will help you if you are doing more jobs and you can present drafts in a much more professional manner. If you guys need some artwork or ideas PM me and I'll try to hook you up.

#8 ·
We had a roland colorcamm 600 and it was nice to print and cut and made some nice things with it but when it was new it was 10,000.00. Sold it on ebay last week for $3750.00 I dont think I will buy another one. The industry is pretty much tied up and if you need decals shop around its alot less hassle. We have surveyboy on here who does this and does a nice job

#9 ·
You are right about the market getting saturated. I guess it depends in what area you live. In my area there are only a couple of vinyl shops and they are a rip off, so I've been doing pretty good. That is one of the reasons I got my own machine, because prices were just too ridiculouse out here. I charge about half of what local sign shops charge and I still think it is a bit high, but everybody seems to happy and keep coming back for more. :smokin:

#10 ·
I made a killing selling vinyl graphics on ebay about 4 years ago. but of course that market got saturated. With many businesses where initial start up is relatively cheap it can get saturated, then everyone quits. I have thought about selling my machine a couple of times, but keep it just because someone who I made a sign for referred someone my way. You have to be committed like any business but it can work. If I was going to purchase a new one for a business I would get a printer/plotter as mentioned above. They are a lot more expensive but if you have seen the BTF trailer/ rigs they make bitchen graphics.

I will re-emphasize what was said above. For business, get the best software that you can afford. It will save loads of time and in business time = money.

#11 ·
Thank's for the link's that is a good price for the rolland.I geuss that a 12" would do basicly anything you needed for personal use.It seems large enough even for a back window logo.Like I said I mainly just want to have fun with and use for making templates.I am in the middle of getting flexi sign 7.5 is this a good program?I seen the stuff on BTF trailer and rig.That is a place here in Dallas not to far from me that did there stuff for them.They also did Hal Frost's buggy also.I have a friend in Ft Worth wich is fixing to set up his equipment for doing that kind of stuff.I am sure the vinyl industry is leaning towards that stuff so I am not even going to try and get into it for a biusness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.