Pirate 4x4 banner

Where to put compressor?

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  greenmonkey 
#1 ·
I am finally getting around to setting up the garage for efficient work. I have a large vertical compressor (oil, cast pump) that is pretty much in the way and noisy. I would prefer it to be outside, but I am concerned about needing it in the winter, so some sort of insulating cover would be needed. So the other option is to put it in the corner and build a sound deadening box around it.

What is the better option? What have others done?

#2 ·
Clodhopper said:
I am finally getting around to setting up the garage for efficient work. I have a large vertical compressor (oil, cast pump) that is pretty much in the way and noisy. I would prefer it to be outside, but I am concerned about needing it in the winter, so some sort of insulating cover would be needed. So the other option is to put it in the corner and build a sound deadening box around it.

What is the better option? What have others done?
I have my 7hp 60 gal. vertical compressor tucked away in the corner of my 14'x18' shop. It is not too noisy...but then if it was an oil-less it would be outside for sure.

IMO, I don't foresee any detrimental issues if you place your compressor in a well-insulated and well-ventillated room outside your garage.

On the other hand, I have seen a lot of professional shops build an outside chain-link "kennel" with a very large roof to protect their compressors. In this set-up, the only protection from the climate is the roof.

Depending on your climate, you may want to run synthetic compressor oil READ NOT AUTO ENGINE OIL in your pump to help decrease gelling and friction.

#3 ·
I've heard that leaving compressors in freezing temperatures can let residual moisture freeze and break internal parts of the pump and lines, particularly 2 stage ones more than single stage. Anybody had any experience with that happening? I came home with an old Champion 2 stage a couple weeks ago, so this coming winter will be my first with it. My garage is totally unheated. I sure don't want to ruin the thing, so if there's any chance at all of damage I'll need to do something to prevent it.

#4 ·
Id say stik it in the corner, and Maybe build some sort of enclosure around it. I wouldnt add a top though, just the sides, to block the sound waves. Also, ake sure you pipe the intakes outside of the enclosure. Maybe even outside. This should help reduce noise. the problem with enclosures is the lack of cooling for the compressor.

Jim

#5 ·
Freezing is my concern if outside. It would be on the north side of the building, so no sun exposure for periodic thaws. It will be in the freeze for 4 to 5 months of the year. Oil gets thick in the case and I can't drain the moisture out the bottom (not that I have much moisture here in Colorado :D ).

In the garage would be cold, but I can keep it above freezing (say, 40 to 50 deg) without too much trouble.

My concern with insulation boxes outside or sound boxes inside is the cooling issue.

It would be nice to have it outside and save the room, but I am leaning toward having it inside to allow better operation. I just don't want to have to wear ear plugs all the time.

#6 ·
Id say go inside, and build an enclosure around it, just on the sides, so the top is exposed. To see what I mean, turn the thing on, then quickly go outside to about where it is. You wills ee what its like ot have a wall between you and your compressor :flipoff2: . Id say build the partial enclosure out of plywood and 2X4s, and if you like that finished look, sheetrock the outside :shaking:

Jim

#7 ·
I've been thinking about this for my shop as well. My shop is going to be 30'x30', Mine is also going to be heated and air Conditioned, but will only be on while I'm inside working.
I've got two Ideas on Compressor placement, both end with the compressor outside,and a solid roof and hinged insulated walls, that can be opened in the summer for cooling. One is just running the chimney from the woodstove up through the compressor room,
the other is to put a cheap baseboard heater with a thermostat, and fuggetaboutit.

#9 ·
Heres what I am planning as I prolly be limited to 24x24 anyways.

Gettin one of those wooden garden sheds, insulate it WELL, then stick it right up against the outer shop wall, run your line thru, insulate it as well, the more the better. Then "possibly" even run part of your vent line into the shed to heat it somewhat but not the main part of heating, just a from the exhaust?

I would love to hear from others on how to heat something thats just gonna hold my compressor and lawn tools?

#11 ·
Junk Driver said:
Heres what I am planning as I prolly be limited to 24x24 anyways.

Gettin one of those wooden garden sheds, insulate it WELL, then stick it right up against the outer shop wall, run your line thru, insulate it as well, the more the better. Then "possibly" even run part of your vent line into the shed to heat it somewhat but not the main part of heating, just a from the exhaust?

I would love to hear from others on how to heat something thats just gonna hold my compressor and lawn tools?
Actually, if you heat the shed, run the line exposed into the garage, you have the setup for a FREE air drier. The rapid change in temperature will cause the moisture to condense. Id say Run the lin out of the shed, elbow it up, loop it back down intall a T at the bottom, with aball valve, then go back up into the wall. In cooler weather, you will have that free air drier i mentioned. :D

Jim

#12 ·
Goat said:
Most comps that I have seen that are subject to freezing temps have a block heater on it. The commercial units are $200 bucks...I use a electric blanket that is controlled by a thermostat.
I'll add to that...

Heat-trace cable/tape is also good for any portion of the piping that is likely to collect moisture (low spot, etc.). Set it on a thermostat.

#13 · (Edited)
I have mine in our cellar. It is a really old unit and very quiet. You can hear it run inside the house, but not much worse than the dishwasher being on. I do plan on soundproofing it someday. My shop is attached to the house so this is ideal. The air is dry and cool, and I am able to make a really nice long slanted copper pipe run to my shop. In fact, the pipe is also against the cool basement walls. My plan is to someday run the copper pipe into my attic to a 2nd tank and allow drops thru the ceiling to where I want the hoses. Any thoughts on the warm air in the attic?? It should be hitting that area pretty dry. Drain out the bottom of the tank and run the air lines out of the top. I also plan on mounting the tank above the shop sink with the drain pipe hanging down to drain into the sink. :D

#14 ·
I just put my new compressor (60 gallon 2 stage) in my 'compressor shed' which is litterally a shed outside my shop. I turned it on for the first time, and shut the doors, its a big shed, about 8 x 8 and about 9 feet tall. Lots of volume in there.

When i opened the doors it was like a heat wave. I am NOT worried about it being in there during the winter, it gets TOASTY! its a short run, about 2' to the shop thru the wall, and that section is insulated. Time will tell of course, but those little sheds are cheap, and i can't hear anything but a buzz from my oil-free 'pressor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.