Pirate 4x4 banner

drill press vice

780 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  dmay 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#2 ·
I went and wiggled the heads on the one at Harbor Frieght, then did the same with the vice from Sears. For $40 I bought the Sears unit. Mine does not have the sliding vice but my table spins and moves lateraly so I do not need one more thing to move (Read wiggle). They also have some nice vice bolts at Sears.

#3 ·
it all depends on how much precision you want. That HF vice might be able to hold .050, and that sucks. That's about the same as putting it in a standard two jaw, positioning it by eye, and clamping the vice down. If you drill your holes an 1/16" larger then the bolt going through them, then you'll
have no problem with that setup. The backlash (wiggle) in those is awful.
In all honesty, I would prefer a center punch and hand drill for anything less than 1/4" stock.
(I had one several years ago, it fell apart in a few months also)

#5 ·
Actually, I have that exact vice I bought on sale. It's no machinist vice, but it's fine for the money and plenty good for drill press grade accuracy. It was a bit "loose" and "rough" (got real tight on one end of travel, loose on the other) when I first unboxed it, but after I spent about 30 minutes adjusting and a little filing on it to "clean it up" a bit it was fine and has no appreciable slop. I have no complaints at all, and it's SO MUCH EASIER for getting the drill and target lined up. I always center punch anyway, clamp it down, and crank till it lines up, then crank to the next hole, and so on.

#7 · (Edited)
GrantBaker said:
it all depends on how much precision you want. That HF vice might be able to hold .050, and that sucks. That's about the same as putting it in a standard two jaw, positioning it by eye, and clamping the vice down. If you drill your holes an 1/16" larger then the bolt going through them, then you'll
have no problem with that setup. The backlash (wiggle) in those is awful.
In all honesty, I would prefer a center punch and hand drill for anything less than 1/4" stock.
(I had one several years ago, it fell apart in a few months also)

I agree 100%,mine sucks balls,If I have 6 holes to make in a piece then 5 will be perfect,one will be off every fucking time :mad: :mad2:
It was really making me think I was a total hack,then I realized how much this piece of shit danced around while drilling,decided I'm only 1/2 a hack :rolleyes:
I will be buying something better soon
maybe this
enco #201-2536

only $120 right now(but I've spent all my dough on hydro-steer this month)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.