Pirate 4x4 banner

welder techs?

872 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Brad 
#1 ·
So I just got my rims last night, the centers were jigg'd and tach'd up. I proceed to finish welding them. My welder is a craftsman 220V 230AC/140DC and I think its lowest duty cycle is 20%/140DC. I was burning 90-100'sh straight polarity. I kept hearing a pop noise or what sounded like a volt spike. So I say maybe she's a little warm and let it sit for 30 minutes. Came back to finish welding and was in for a big surprize. I get about half way through my 14" rod and wham. Lights are dimmed real bad in the shop and I look over and my welder is going crazy...shooting sparks everydamnwhere. I turned the switch off and it went away. I damn sure do not want to be in the market for another welder (I've been out so long I wouldnt know what brands etc. to buy). I glanced at Harbor Freight welders, got some cheapies but judging by there duty cycles I'd probably burn one slap up. So I guess my question is, is my welder salvagable or should I just buy another one? I know it may be hard to diagnos it with internet binoculars but I figured maybe somebody has went through the same thing or knows what I'm talking about.

#2 ·
studlybilly said:
So I just got my rims last night, the centers were jigg'd and tach'd up. I proceed to finish welding them. My welder is a craftsman 220V 230AC/140DC and I think its lowest duty cycle is 20%/140DC. I was burning 90-100'sh straight polarity. I kept hearing a pop noise or what sounded like a volt spike. So I say maybe she's a little warm and let it sit for 30 minutes. Came back to finish welding and was in for a big surprize. I get about half way through my 14" rod and wham. Lights are dimmed real bad in the shop and I look over and my welder is going crazy...shooting sparks everydamnwhere. I turned the switch off and it went away. I damn sure do not want to be in the market for another welder (I've been out so long I wouldnt know what brands etc. to buy). I glanced at Harbor Freight welders, got some cheapies but judging by there duty cycles I'd probably burn one slap up. So I guess my question is, is my welder salvagable or should I just buy another one? I know it may be hard to diagnos it with internet binoculars but I figured maybe somebody has went through the same thing or knows what I'm talking about.
I'd venture a guess and say your transformer just wet the bed...but I'm not a welder expert.

IMO, pony up some $$$ and buy a Lincoln AC/DC stick welder. I'm sure you could find some of them in great, used shape for +/- $250.

#4 ·
its only a 50amp breaker? I thought my welder was at 40amps, when I was at lowes the guy told me 10amps would still cause it to flick. :confused:

Anyways, my buddy said he has a 220AC/125DC licoln stick welder that has maybe 2 hours on it. Asking a couple of benjamins so I figure I'll go with that welder. I guess everybody seems to like lincolns a lot? My welder put up a good fight for about 3-4 years so I cant exactly complain.

#7 ·
lincoln is crap, go with a miller. I am a welder by trade by the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.