Pirate 4x4 banner

shop shelving?

1K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  rob 
#1 ·
Lots of workbench tech, but I haven't seen anything on prefab shelving for shop use.

I'm hunting for a wall-hung system right now. What I have in mind would have standards that screw to the wall, then the shelves clip in. Move the shelves around, get different depth shelves, whichever. So long as it doesn't have to sit on the ground.

So far, my only option seems to be those wire mesh shelves you get at Home Depot and Lowe's. Not terrible, but not quite what I have in mind as far as strength and flexibility goes.

#4 ·
Check out home depot and lowes for the dream garage magazine. you would have to build it, but the stuff that is heavy duty enough to use in a garage is really expensive. You could also go and look at the habitat for humanity resale center over between capital and atlantic ave. The will have used kitchen cabinets for sale pretty cheap.

#5 ·
If ya can find a retail store going out..........when I worked at Van Heusen the shelving was actually pretty heavy duty. The standards were strong and the shelving was just thick wood (finished). I put a few in my laundry room, but I wouldnt' hesitate to put at least 150 lbs on each shelf (they're maybe 3' or 4' wide), but you've gotta be careful to not load either end too much or it'll tip off the arms

#6 ·
You worked retail? Baaaaahahahahah!

I found these: http://www.texasgarages.com/freedomrail.htm

The website is a little :rainbow: and you have to buy more of the stuff than I could probably use... what with the six shelves per package and everything. But it's certainly close to what I had in mind. They also say you need those "hanging rails" to attach the uprights to the wall. Fawk that. I'd just screw them straight to the studs.

Weight specs:
Weight capacity is 110 lbs for the 12" brackets and 140 lbs for the 16" brackets. The shelves hold 75 lbs. per linear foot with uprights spaced 30" and 100 lbs. per linear foot with uprights spaced 24". The overall weight capacity is 500 lbs. per 40" section of hanging rail.
I also found this place with gondola shelving: http://www.anytimeproducts.com/select/shelvingselection.htm but I couldn't find any uprights for attaching the shelves directly to the wall.

#7 ·
saf-t scissors said:
Too much time in it. I just want it done.
Then you're gonna have to pay for it, man. Those systems with the wall standards and adjustable shelves are labor intensive to install and not exactly simple to plumb up. I agree, though, that they'd be nice to have.

I built two sturdy shelving units for the heavy stuff. The rest of my storage will be kitchen cabinets I'll get out by the street in front of houses that are being remodeled.

#8 ·
the home depot wire mesh kicks ass :D i used it for my pantry and will use it in my garage when i get a bigger one :D any how you have an "upright" that attaches to a stud then "arms" that hold the mesh shelf. the "uprights" come in many lenghts and the shelfs can be cut with bolt cutters. nice thing with this set up is for heavy shelfs you can install more "uprights". the open design of the shelfs allow dirt to fall thur.

#9 ·
keep an eye for grocery stores that are remodeling or closing. thats all we've ever used. if it can hold up a whole shelf of 1 gallon jugs of water.. it can hold your car parts.

you can get grocery shelves free for the hauling usually.

#10 ·
I agree wall hung units are so much nicer. I hate shit on the floor when I am wrenching plus minimal stuff on floor makes for a cleaner and more efficient work area.

and I also agree, you're gonna have to take a weekend, and build! I did, and ended up with heavy duty cupboards I dont flinch to put most of my tools up there.

Already planning out my next shop with out knowing dimensions and I feel with overhead cupboards all along the front wall with a bench with drawers etc I can acheive what I feel would be more than enough strides as I can do towards the ultimate garage.

#14 ·
I'll see about snaping some pictures tomorrow. I picked up some "bakers" or wire racks from Costco. They are heavy duty as hell. I have one at work that I have probably 600lbs on and it's steady as can be. They are 6' high and about 4' wide. They are on casters so it makes them easy to move around and clean under. They were $70 a piece. Everything in my garage goes on casters so that I can moves stuff around and hose the place out. The shelves are all adjustable so you can decide on the height.

#17 ·
In the garden dept. where I work they used carts similar to those costco ones and they were very heavy duty.Best part is they have an over head bar for hanging plants which could be very handy for painting or hanging to pressure wash.You can roll it out onto a driveway,blast of grime then roll it back in and use it as a shelving unit.Very handy when doing major shop cleanups.They also come with a very tiny tow bar so a lawn tractor can move them around if they are really heavy.At this time of year they are prolly available as the season is over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.