638 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  goat getter 
#1 ·
i recently purchased a HH180 and can't wait to get zappin' :bounce:

the input information from the rear of the welder is:
  • volts - 230
  • amperes - 19.5
  • phase - 1
  • hertz - 60
my only 250V outlet is a window air conditioner plug (243V on a 20A breaker). will this be an adequate power source?

...if the answer to the first part was yes than we can move to the real ordeal :confused:

i want to take a 100' extension cord that consists of:
  • AWG 10/3
  • STW
  • 20A/125V
  • L5-20 plug/receptacle
i planned to remove the 120V locking ends and install a 6-50R and a 6-20p. :idea:

will this creation work safely for what i need?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
What is the duty cycle when it draws 19.5A?

I also wonder.... what size wire is used, and how far is the AC outlet from the main panel?

Otherwise the 100' #10 cord and the plug ends you've chosen are fine with a 19.5A load.

BTW: plugs & receptacles are usually rated for 125V or 250V even though the nominal voltage is 120/240V, and the equipment itself is rated for 110, 115, 208, 220, or 230V to account for voltage drop.

#5 ·
u2slow said:
What is the duty cycle when it draws 19.5A? ...I also wonder.... what size wire is used, and how far is the AC outlet from the main panel?
as far as the duty cycle goes this is from the manual:

Rated Welding Output
  • 130 A @ 20 Volts DC
  • 30% Duty Cycle At 60 Hz Input
  • 20% Duty Cycle At 50 Hz Input

the wire used for the AC outlet is not known, as it is within the wall. it is very close to the main breaker panne, approx. six feet from it.

still sound ok to make my extension from the 10/3 ? ..or do i need to spring for the 6/3.. i only paid $50 for the 100' extension from the depot.

#7 ·
Kartracer55 said:
I thought the 180/175 class machines were closer to 30 amps?
Heh. The big number on the front of the box means almost nothing.
Its just like those 6HP shop vacs that run on a basic 120V/15A circuit :rolleyes:

Owner's manual usually has the rated primary current @ duty cycle... but not always. Sometimes the only place to get it is off the machine itself.

#8 ·
Yeah, if my voltage drop calculations are right. Asuming that the outlet is wired with 10 AWG copper at roughly 10 feet of cable length between the breaker and the outlet, you would have a voltage drop of .5 volts at 240 V/20A. Over a total length of 110 feet (wall plus extension cord), you will have about a voltage drop of 5 volts so 10AWG copper will work just fine and will still be sufficiant to run the welder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.