Pirate 4x4 banner

Attn: Wood & Fiberglass Gurus

606 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ZukIzzy 
#1 ·
I've got a 14' wood sailboat my grandfather built for me some time ago. Unfortunately disuse and neglect have left it in less than pristine condition. I've had it under cover for the past couple of years and just hand a chance to take a look at it (first time in about a year).

Some of the glass on the deck has bubbled up and away from the wood. Looks like either moisture got underneath the glass somehow or it got hot enough under the cover to cause it to bubble.

What's the best way to go about fixing this? The bubbles themselves are no larger than a silver dollar and there aren't more than 8 or 9 of them spread across various portions of the deck. Can I just sand down through the glass and lay a patch down on the bare wood, feathering the new glass into the old? I plan to sand the whole thing down this winter and revarnish it anyways so I'd like to take care of everything all at once while I'm at it.

Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
I had to reglass an old pos boat.Had to replace the floor.I used a air disc grinder (DA sander ?)with a abrasive disc to cut/sand the glass.Feather in to the solid glass around bubbles and then reglass.Try to use the same kind of matting on boat.You might have to put a gel coat on after to match fininsh.
You might contact a place that sells fiberglass products for further info.

#4 ·
You can feather out the bubbles and just lay in a patch then lay up 1 layer of deck cloth.(really light glasscloth to keep a uniform texture). But be aware you need to do a small test area. Some epoxys will not ever harden if used over Varnish and NO resin stick very well to varnish so if it has been varnished you need to sand as much of it off as you can. Also Polyester resin have no UV protection in them so you need to add it or use an epoxy that is UV resistant. Try Wickes or Aircraft spruce for the supplys they have a large selection of Glassing supplys and will ship to you. Some guys won't due to the mailing regs on haz mat.

Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.