Pirate 4x4 banner

My Shop Build Up

23K views 159 replies 50 participants last post by  EndorphinJunky 
#1 ·
My wife decided that it was cool for me to build a new shop in the backyard. After doing my research and reading the Camo shop thread I decided to go with www.steelbuilding.com I have to say they are on top of things over there and have great customer service. We decided to go with a 30x40x12 steel building.

Now dealing with the city that I live in, what a pain in the ass this was. They wouldn’t let me do a monolithic pour. So I have to go with a footer still foundation. Also the power to my house is over head and is right in the way of were the shop is going. So to move this I have to get the local power company to approve were I could reroute it. On top of that the city wants everything I do updated so I have to go to underground at this point.

So finally I got my permit and can start on the shop. Yesterday the concrete guy should up and started the dig. Here are some pictures and I will keep you updated.

Here is my Site Plan

See less See more
#2 ·
Excellent! That is the same size minus the height as mine. I went with 30x40x10.

Kudos... You'll enjoy it once it's done.

#4 ·
That should make for a nice shop :grinpimp:

That is about the size I have been looking in to building myself.. Have you figured what the total cost ''might'' be when it is complete ?

#7 ·
Are you going with a 4 or 6 inch floor ?

#8 ·
we are going with a 4" floor, but were i plan to put the lift he is going to go with a 8" reinforced floor. and then he will come in and saw cut the floor after he is done. this way i dont have huge gaps to fill when i paint it.

#14 ·
Looks like you are making good progress :cool2:

Have you figured up a time line on how long it will take from start to finish ?

#15 ·
the concrete guy start on wednesday sept 14th.

the building will be here on thursday the 29th.

i should have the building complete by oct 7th or earlier

i hired a guy and his buddys to put the building up. which i got there info from the steelbuilding company. this cost me an extra 2000. i figured it was worth the cost vrs me and a few buddies trying to get it up in 3-4 weeks. but the total time should be around 3-4 weeks to have the hole thing done.

#18 ·
Today we got the conduit in the wall. I wanted to go this route to keep everything clean from the outside along with the inside. I also had to put a ground through the footer walls. This piece of copper is tied in 4 places to the supporting rebar. This will be one of the grounds.

#20 ·
I ordered my 30 X 60 X 12 from steelbuilding.com too. It is supposed to be here on the 6th of Oct. We poured on Monday (19th) and it came out really sweet. Here in Cali, the permit process is a PITA and expensive too. However, since we have no real frost line, we don't have to dig footings quite like you do. :eek: I wound up with a full perimeter footing 12" X 12", pier footings that the columns and I had a 5 1/2" slab done. We wound up pouring 49 1/2 yards of mud total, in a monolith. The guys finished for me t oa smooth as a baby's ass finish that I will just seal with clear for cleanup purposes.

I ran my conduit inside the wall too, but my water and gas will be outside, in case I have any problems and need to work on it. I wound up putting a full bath in one corner of mine too. Figured the wife would appreciate that, no more stinky guy walking thru the house. ;)

My slab ran me about $13,500 for EVERYTHING. I dug my own footings (major PITA) and bought al the supplies myself. The mud cost me $107 a yard with tax, fuel surcharge and everything. I had them put fiber in it too, costs a little more per yard, but the surface cracking is reduced a great deal.

The concrete guy came out the very next morning and saw cut mine, and so far, I have no cracks. :fingerscrossed: I know it's only been 4 days, so I'm not too excited yet.

So, they're only charging you $2000 to erect the building? That's a damn good price! I think it's about $3-4 a sq foot here.

#21 ·
hell yea sounds like you have a nice shop going up. i really wanted to put a bath in but it was going to cost me to much. the shop is close enough to the house. yea for $2000 it was worth it to me. i have never done anything like this before. they are going to do the same to my floor. smooth with saw cuts. what are you going to use on your floor?

#23 ·
Bahahahahaaa, that's funnay!!

I think I am just going to use a clear sealer over it. THere's a product called "Diamond Hard" that my concrete guy recommended. I was going to paint it, but with the finish they did, I hate to cover it up with anything but just a clearcoat.

I just wanted the bathroom mainly for the shower. I figure even just out doing yard work it'll be nice to clean up before coming in the house. Won't hurt my resale value either. Theoretically, you could make an in-law quarters out of it.

#24 ·
My concrete guy is digging the footings for my building as I type. Out here in Calif the slabs are much easier to do. I'm doing 5" thick with 1/2" rebar on 24" centers. Also going with a 6 sack mix.

I got my 40 x 100 x 16 metal building from Empire steel buildings. Awesome to work with, and it will be delivered Oct 13th.

Thanks for the reminder on the "ground"! I looked at one fellow's building and he had forgotten. OOPS!

#25 ·
today they poured the slab. last night i got all the conduit in the ground for the service change, that passed inspetion today woohoo. my building got pushed back and should be here on the 5th and then it should be up by the 8th. i cant wait.

later tj

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.