Pirate 4x4 banner

phase converter

532 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Goat 
#1 ·
#2 ·
cavstoy said:
I am looking for a phase converter to convert 3 phase AC to DCfor usage by a stick welder. See the website for what I am using it for. Any ideas where I can get one.

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~weinfurt/gaswelder.html
You need SIX DIODES. Even mentioned is "A 3 phase external diode bank consiting of six 300 amp diodes converts 3 phase AC into DC"

Look for diodes rated with a 100 V PIV rating. Surplus is the key, as you want as cheap as possible. Ideally they will have a stud mount.

I could make you up something like that, with a 1" x 1/4" copper buss bar (two bars, three diodes each). but just make it yourself. Find a electronics buddy to help you out who know what surplus catalogs to look for the stuff.

Years back my Hitachi (Datsun) Alternators would overheat and melt out the diodes. Made up a diode bank that mounted on the firewall away from the alternator. Kept the diodes cooler that way, and was able to run full 100W driving lights (4 or them). Same idea is used here, as the internal ones will overheat (normally all six diodes are hidding inside the alternator).

Tom :usa:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.