Pirate 4x4 banner

SKOL me no tig welders

1K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  verceingetorix 
#1 · (Edited)
SKOL me on tig welders

basics of the units

what amperage welds what thicknesses

inverter?

many also have arc/plasma cutter/tig configurations any good?

#2 ·
first figure out what options you want, what materials you will be welding, and budget, they really isnt to firm of a table for thickness to amperage from what i have experienced because different machines run completely different, i have been using an old fridge sized Syncrowave, with the amperage dial at 200, but rarely flooring it, cup walking 3/8" mild steel. if your runnin your machine alot, like a fab shop, or as some other job, you would want to get a water cooler, and possible a 3phase machine. figure out your requirements for a machine, specifically material thickness, production rates, duty cycle, and power source availability.

#3 ·
^^^^ All Good Points^^^

Also look at electricity. That Synchrowave 250, which you can find used quite often, needs a 80-100 A 240V service, or 3 phase. I'm not sure on the exact #, but its big. I got a Thermal Arc 185 w/ Tig package for about $1750. Nice machine, with all the features, and needs 50 A or so.

So, you'll need to be somewhere where you can wire a circuit big enough for a big transformer based tig, inverter units use a lot less electricity, and have great performance too.

#4 ·
Thanks guys, I hve my own small garage I can wire 220 into single phase only though, I would like a combo plasma cutter tig machine, so 220v and 100 to 130 amp is what im probably looking for then and Ive seen quite a few machines inthe 1700 range with 100% duty cycle with 220 v, I really wish I can get cheaper but might not be possible.

tig for was easier to keep the pool correct, had to see the mig for some reason

#8 ·
ive been running my dynasty (inverter) on 110v for a little while, and just got 220v hooked up couple weekends back. was doing a lot of aluminum so i needed all 200 amps that the machine had. full blast was only sucking 17.xx amps (almost 18). tig isnt easy or fast, but thats why i got it. its fun to tig and the results are great. plus im not usually in a hurry.

if you dont need ac, then miller also has a maxstar which is a much cheaper dc only machine thats an inverter also.

#13 ·
mountain4x4 said:
Is there any improvement with He besides better heat transfer? How much more flow do you need with He vs Ar? And, what He blends are available? Thanks, I've never tried He, and am interested in learning.

Check this thread and my post near the end. It's some helium talk.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375378

#14 ·
Sillyneck said:
bring it back up :) I'm looking to get a tig asap......I was thinking the miller sync 250 or the dynasty 200

I saw someone says he's seen used ones? where would I go about finding a used one?

Race car shops, Classified Ads, Trading Post, Pirate4x4, AWS.org forums, Local Fab/Machine Shops, Auctions, Local welding supply stores, and ask around and put the word out that you are looking. I promise you never know where the good deal will come from.

#16 · (Edited)
mountain4x4 said:
Is there any improvement with He besides better heat transfer? How much more flow do you need with He vs Ar? And, what He blends are available? Thanks, I've never tried He, and am interested in learning.
helium is only needed above certain amps and thickness. DCEN will do most everything, even AL if done correctly.

Most libraries carry TIG textbooks, that are not in the reference section (you can check them out if not reference) and are great.

Most every decent welding shop, general air, air gas, linweld, etc will have used machines from time to time.

I use a cheapy with lift start, no variable amps (while welding) and I get along just fine.

The nice things about an Inverter:
Portable
Smaw capable
will do most everything

the bad:
usually short duty cycle, especially if air cooled. Not really an issue, as you need to go slow anyway to prevent the haf from getting too hot.

#18 ·
tig

Tig is the only way to go in my opinion. Have a dynasty 300dx at work and have used many 250 and 350 syncrowaves. If you don't have to weld alot of thick material and want to get a cheaper machine I would say look at the 180 syncrowave. But if it was me I would spend a little more and get a 250 model.

Also check out ebay I have bought a couple of used welders and have saved quite a bit even with shipping. Just make sure to get all the details.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.