Pirate 4x4 banner

transmission jack

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  worn4wd 
#1 ·
Looking for a decent one at a decent price. Saw a few in the HP and Northern catalogs. Anybody got one and have recomendations?

#2 ·
I've used several diiferent types and have never been satisfied. I find that a good floor jack with a saddle made to fit the object I'm lifting works better than most tranny jacks.

I've used the ones that are lifted with a 1/2 drive wrench. They are little better than trying to lift the tranny by hand. The hydraulic ones almost always have junk hydraulics and the setups they have to make them easier to use in close quarters work against me.

If I take a jack and bolt a piece of flat stock to it and put it beneath the tranny and begin welding, I usually end up with something that is pretty stable and works well. I also try to make it in such a fashion that the tranny can be bolted directly to the jack platform. Since I started doing this, my success rate has improved dramatically.

#3 ·
I tried the floor jack route alot of times ends up being to tall to get under the vehicle.. need taller jack stands I guess.

One I really like is an old Walker one a friend of mine has. It is a heavy booger and is very low profile. It has a ratcheting setup with a reversable handle to raise up and down.

How did you effectively attach the plate to the jack so it doen't tip around?

#4 ·
andyr354 said:
How did you effectively attach the plate to the jack so it doen't tip around?
It depends upon the jack, but most have a saddle that just pulls out and exposes a hole.

Here's a lifted saddle I made:

and I used a D44 pinion (it was easier than sourcing a large fastener LOL) and pinion nut for some added security. Drop it in, thread the nut on from the underside (it doesn't have to be torqued, just hand-tight)

Should give you some ideas

#6 ·
A buddy of mine recently used a motorcycle lift (the kind that rolls under the frame) to take out his trans. Worked good and now they are under a hundred bucks at many stores.

#8 ·
#9 ·
the floor model trans jack I have it a cheep aff brand I beleive but it isn't tall enough for lifted trucks and is to tall for cars. It is better than floor jack but my floor jack the pad doesn't come out so adapters aren't easy to make as above. Now I have lift in shop and use a stand up trans jack again bought a cheepy it gets the job done but is weak at best and will be replaced some day

#10 ·
I picked up an ATV/motorcycle lift at Sears for 60 bucks last summer, and it worked great for putting the ZF6/Tcase combo back into my F350. Not bad for the price. Id rather have a professional model, but not for 500-600 bucks. ATV lifts are a good way to get something decent for a relatively inexpensive price.

#11 ·
ive had a cheap[$100] no name trans jack for 10 years.yuo want a 2 way adjustable head, so you can use it on all types of trannys. the trick is to use a ratchet strap to keep the tranny from sliding around, or tipping.
i have done at least 50 tranny jobs with this jack, and have had no problems. if you take care of it even cheap tools can last a long time.if you want the best a Gray trans jack is the only waw to go. :smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.