Pirate 4x4 banner

Home/Shop Security Alarm

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Napoleon047 
#1 ·
Hey All,

Was outside this weekend putting the jeep on the trailer when a local guy stopped to chat about my jeep and his cars. I've only been in this area for about 1yr. Anyhow he had asked if I had any issues with the kids in the town. He said he had to put up a privacy fence and a security system. He even has a camera on the garage. Said there have been issues in the past and to keep things put away. I told him about my shop being built next week and he suggested to consider an alarm or something

So it got me thinking and the Mrs thought it would be a good idea to look into some home security now that we have 6mo with us.

What do you guys have for home security and for your shop? Do you need window magnets if there is a motion sensor in the same room? My shop will have two windows, garage door and side door.

Which brands do you have/cost per year/etc would be great info.

#4 ·
ideas

This has been on my to do list as well.
My garage/shop project is @50% done and I wanted to incorporate some ideas into the design. I have no windows which are not in view of the house, motion lighting , I plan on wiring up spots for hidden cameras, and also trip alarms on all windows and doors. My dog helps with the looky-lou's.
My take on "most" theft IS: They have to know what you have in order to steel it. I dont "show off" all my cool stuff to any bob or neal that stops by. All for sale items are on the front yard or in front of the garage in plain sight. This prevents wandering eyes/feet while viewing the item. See point about dog.

I tell everyone the dog may or may/not bite. I also mention to people about my large gun collection, that I may or may/not have.
Ill let them decide.

Another post a while back went over a bunch of stuff.
Take pictures of everything you own!! Just in case

#5 · (Edited)
My Secrets (well maybe not anymore)

I used to say that my (120lb) Sheperd/Dobie mix doesn't bit and is very friendly (which is true). But she's got the most evil bark you've ever heard.

Now I tell people that she's a different dog when the family members aren't around. I let them decide what that means.

But just the same, I'll have an alarm system in the new shop with remote notify (pager) system. I've got a good neighbor (with shotguns) that I can call to check on things when I'm out of town.

I'm doing mo sensors in each room and nothing on the windows / doors. Seems to be most cost effective. I 'll also add mo sensing lights to each corner of the bldg. That's a good thing for when I go around the building to get something too!

A NOTE: those wireless cameras advertised everywhere are the worst thing you can do! The bad guys can easily build a scanner to pick up those frequencies (2.3ghz, i think) and see what your cameras see inside you house or shop or perimiter! It's like casing the place, without any risk!

Go wired for these cameras and be "unhackable". Then wire them to your PC, and be able to check on things via internet.

later,

REFLEXX :D

PS- one of the best quotes ever: "locks are to keep honest people out!"

#6 ·
Thats a good point you make about the wireless vs wired camera's. But whats the point of the camera if your not watching it all day? I dont see myself rewinding the vcr tape each night to re-record the next day.. Or am I missing something. :)

Im more concerned about whats inside not outside anyhow. Everything will be locked up inside the shop.

#7 ·
My shop has mag switches on all windows and doors. I have never used a motion sensor for 1 reason. I have been told they will "false trigger" easily, have heard that hot metal (from welding) will trigger them hours later. Can anyone confirm this? My shop is detached from the house so I put in a "baby tender" (all sounds are heard, even when my shop fridge turns on!). I think I paid $20; from Toys-R-Us and my unit is 12 years old. My monitor is by my bed, so hopefully I can catch someone in the night.

#8 ·
I would say your best bet is an alarm system that is monitored by a security service. Brinks, etc. I pay $16 a month and it is well worth the money. I get a 5% cut in my insurance premium which offsets the cost.

IMO a simple motion detector should be OK for in the shop. I would get one that is "pet safe" so that a rodent or insect wouldn't set it off. Also make sure that you get one rated for cold weather use if it gets cold in your area and you don't heat your shop all the time.

In your house you could also incorporate fire alarms and a panic alert in case of home invasion or health emergency.

Other than that, out of site out of mind. Windows, for natural light in a shop are nice, but I would mount them high in the walls to avoid prying eyes. I built my shop with no windows after I had seen my friends shop with heavily barred windows broken into. (No alarm system) If they can't see whats inside, then they won't want to steal it.

#9 ·
Id go with a basic wired security panel, with a dialer that you have set to dial your cell phone. Get a motion detector and magnetic contact switches at every window and door.

If your serious about video surveillance, you can get VCR's and digital recorders that can record for days and weeks at a time on a single tape or digitally. Also they can be set to record only when a camera detects movement. They are called time lapse VCR's

Here's a site I found with some security stuff

http://homesecuritystore.com/ezStore123/DTProductList.asp?p=2_1_1_1_0_0_111

#10 ·
Like my granddad always says, a lock will only stop an honest man. I recently just got a new shop dog, and have a "Beware of Dog" sticker on the shop door. In addition, the shop is within range of my .30-06 that is in my room, and I'm a great shot :) But in all honesty, I just try to not show off my junk, and I'm usually working there all hours of the night, and some days, so it would be hard for a thief to know when to try to steal anything...

#11 ·
you dont necessarily have to watch a video monitor all day.

i have played around with some PC software that, using a simple webcam has "smart" recording characteristics. i.e. it only records when something moves or changes.

so, if you have some motion sensed lights, when the lights are off, the software will record nothing because all it sees is dark. when something trips the lights however, it will start recording.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.