Pirate 4x4 banner

Bending tube this weekend , tips& bender??

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  4Runnerdude 
#1 · (Edited)
Did some searching and read the Bending tube 101

and this cool one bending legs

that's great and all but I'm borrowing a harbor freight manual hydraulic bender, that has some primative (rough) dies.

I just need some Fender protection to add between my front 1.5 tube bumper and my 1.1/4 sliders

All I know is measure a lot and put grease on the dies.

Should I use this type of Bender ??

Going to the Con this following Thurs. Don't want to damage the right corner again.

Hey Ryan, you still swamped?
I got Tubing! 20 feet :D

#4 · (Edited)
Tube does not fit in pipe dies. You may very well kink that tube with the HF bender. I seem to remember somebody posting some tricks that they used in order to use those dies, however, I don't remember, who or where.

EDIT: I want to say that they were putting some 16ga sheet metal over the tube or in the die to take up the gap, but I may be wrong.

#7 ·
Yea I noticed that the 1.5 die #40 is a bit bigger than the actuall 1.5 tube
but the 1 1/4 die is a close fit for the 1.5 tube
Will this work ?

I hoping some experienced benders will have time to bend my stuff others wise I may be doing it myself.

#10 ·
I sleeved my die and it works much better but still doesn't match my JD2.

You should've bought pipe sized HREW..... now your in a pickle.

The pipe vs. tube debate will never end..... :shaking: :shaking:

The reason people want you to avoid "pipe" is because they don't want you using WATER pipe or anything galvanized etc.....

I've got plenty of HREW pipe, (read EXACTLY the same as tube besides dimensions) I just choose to use tube DOM now that I've experienced both.... You can crush HREW just clamping it before bending it......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.