Pirate 4x4 banner

New Welder

Stepping up from a 110v Mig

821 views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  TheRipper 
#1 ·
So I am minutes from purchasing either a 200+ amp lincoln/miller/hobart welder or considering a Tig. Yea a mig is super handy but it seems like more adn more people are going to tig. What do you guys think? Should I steup up into a larger Mig or spend some money on a Tig?

#6 ·
CrustyJeep said:
Can you imagine doing ALL your welding, tacking, everything with a TIG?
My FIL does with a Syncrowave 180SD. He doesn't get into large heavy-fab projects though. A co-worker has the same machine and uses it for repairing aluminum transmission and t-cases. That model is cheaper than a Millermatic 251.

Another buddy has a 251. In hidsight he'd rather have gone with a smaller MIG and also have a TIG for the street-rod/custom fab he's doing.

I only suggested the XMT because its a multi-capability machine and I saw it on sale in the Acklands-Grainger flyer :p

#9 ·
All depends on what you are doing. If you're going to be doing a lot of aluminum, stainless, and such -- TIG all the way. If you're mainly working with mild steel and running a lot of bead -- MIG all the way.

#10 ·
a good tig is huge $$$ compared to a miller 251
There are a few exceptions, the one I bought I still believe is the best deal going, the Thermal Arc 185 TSW, which is now on sale for $1650 with tig package:

http://www.oxarc.com/desc.ydev?prod_id=10704

I also have a Lincoln Powermig 200, and I agree you need both, but I'd keep the tig if I really had to choose. They can also do stick for when tig is just too good for what youre doing. :D

#11 · (Edited)
CrustyJeep said:
I can't see having just a TIG. Can you imagine doing ALL your welding, tacking, everything with a TIG?
Dunno its worked fer me for the last 30 or so years... :flipoff2:

On a practical note though each process has its place and one really needs to look at ones selections based on dominant usage.
Im kinda partial to the XMT304 (or equivalent) for a multipurpose unit if only because it does give all the abilities so one can 'grow" into each as they are required, by the same token it is a $3k (new off the shelf) unit...

D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.