Tig Welding Guys

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  mountain4x4 
#1 ·
What Frequency do you set your machines at for different applications

Aluminum?

Steel?

Do you change it for different tasks?

#5 ·
I turn the dial all the way up and use the foot pedal, it will make you a better welder to be able to control amps on the fly. It is harder to learn that way but that is what makes tig the best weld. It takes the most amps to get started and as the material retaines heat back off the amps.

#6 · (Edited)
jstarnes said:
What Frequency do you set your machines at for different applications

Aluminum?

Steel?

Do you change it for different tasks?
From what I've run changing frequency helps "some" on thin aluminum for puddle control and on robotic wirefed systems doing aluminum, and none on steel or ferrous containing materials, this was using a Miller Dynasty unit.

D.

#9 ·
GOAT1 said:
60 hz, that is how the power comes in and what most machines put out, it usually isnt adjustable unless you have an aerowave or nice inverter machine that can change the frequency. You typically always weld steel with DC so the frequency is not a factor.
That's what I was thinking. IF you have a machine that you can adjust frequency, you should know what you're doing already. ;) The school I went to bought one sometime after I finished my courses- I keep meaning to go and try it out sometime. The freq. is adjustable from around 20-200 Hz IIRC. I've seen some of the welds made with it and they are beautiful! :smokin:

I think the original post is about voltage... its been a long time since I've tigged, but IIRC most steel and ss is DC, Al is AC. I can't remember what the voltage ranges are off the top of my head, I could probably set the machine if I were sitting at it... sorry that doesnt help any...

Weedwhacker- What size machine are you talking about? The ones I learned on were 350+ A I did most of the stuff on low range(max of around 100A) but even then, if you didn't have it set right, flooring the pedal would make a heckuva mess.

#11 · (Edited)
I'm sure someone on this board knows far about this than I do... but IIRC, frequency is the measurement of the times/second that the current cycles. AC has a cycle, DC does not. So, basically, you CAN'T adjust the frequency of the DC function of that machine. The only time you'll want to adjust frequency is on AC, welding on Al, when the arc wants to wander, or to give a more consistent arc and better puddle. The higher the frequency, the faster the current alternates, and the easier it can be to weld. I don't remember doing any AC Tig on steel or SS, I don't know that you can. I think we experimented with DC Tig on Al, for the heckuvit, but it can be very tricky... the alternating current cleans the surface oxidization from the Al, making a more 'pure' weld. DC lacks that cleaning effect. I'm not sure about your particular machine, but many machines have a high frequency AC start- this starts the arc, which is replaced by a DC current. I'm not sure what the Pulse Mode is for- I think that may be some sort of pulsed DC current, on-off-on real fast. I'm purely guessing on that though.

Now, if you try to stick weld(shift gears with me here, this isn't TIG) with a DC machine, and you have problems with arc blow, switching to AC can help with that. You could also move the ground clamp near where the end of the weld is, or near the beginning.

I hope some of this is helpful, but its been a while since I've even touched a Tig machine. Ya know how it gets when you're out of practice... If I'm wrong on any of this, someone feel free to set me straight. :)

edit: jstarnes, what is your auto dark doing? Under what conditions is it acting up? What brand helmet is it? What darkness do you have it set at?

#12 · (Edited)
I have one of those units, I like it a lot. It has both adjustable AC welding frequency, and a pulsed setting that can be used on both AC and DC settings. BOTH settings have a frequency control.With the pulser you set base amps, low amps, percentage of time on base, and the frequency it switches from hi to low amps. You really need to get a book and read about modern tig machines, and all the features, electrode use, etc. Miller has a tig book on their site I downloaded for free that will get you started. I have spent many hours just messing around with all the crap that machine can do and trying out different electrodes, etc. Its just going to take A LOT of experience to get a really good grip on what the best way is to set that machine up.

#13 ·
mountain4x4 said:
I have one of those units, I like it a lot. It has both adjustable AC welding frequency, and a pulsed setting that can be used on both AC and DC settings. BOTH settings have a frequency control.With the pulser you set base amps, low amps, percentage of time on base, and the frequency it switches from hi to low amps. You really need to get a book and read about modern tig machines, and all the features, electrode use, etc. Miller has a tig book on their site I downloaded for free that will get you started. I have spent many hours just messing around with all the crap that machine can do and trying out different electrodes, etc. Its just going to take A LOT of experience to get a really good grip on what the best way is to set that machine up.

I guess thats why I asked. when I want to weld something I want to weld not play around with the tons of settings

I guess I will have to read up so I can feel smart :flipoff2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.