Pirate 4x4 banner

Wanting to make a portable/moveable hoist...

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Albin 
#1 ·
For those who use small utility winches this is a question for you...

I want to get a small 12v utility winch...anyone ever hear of the Tug2K?

Specifications include:
-Max. Load- 2000lbs.
-Motor- 12V w/ 0.85hp
-Gear Ratio- 153: 1
-Wire Rope- 5/32" x 49'

Wanting to use this as a engine hoist, tranny hoist and other large load hoists...just wondering if that motor specs would suffice or would it burn out over 2 pulls? :confused:

and for $67.00 they aint too bad of a deal :D

#4 ·
For what HF gets for a hoist, I can hardly think it would be worthwhile. I've got the rigid one versus the folder and it has worked well for me in a production shop with near daily use. The only thing I did tomine was remove the bolt where it telescopes and replaced it with a Tractor Supply hitch pin.

#5 ·
If you are going to use a electric motor for something it's not designed for, be safe about it and use a pulley at the top of hoist with motor at low level. Then you can install a MECHANICAL stop to put load on.

Then you won't lose fingers and fenders and friends. :grinpimp:

I personally would not trust the brake on something that size. We have 4 20 ton over head cranes in our shop. It gets ugly fast when you are swinging, yanking, and pulling things around heavy chunks of steel overhead without good quality,maintained equipment.

just a thought.

#6 ·
solarpower said:
If you are going to use a electric motor for something it's not designed for, be safe about it and use a pulley at the top of hoist with motor at low level. Then you can install a MECHANICAL stop to put load on.

Then you won't lose fingers and fenders and friends. :grinpimp:

I personally would not trust the brake on something that size. We have 4 20 ton over head cranes in our shop. It gets ugly fast when you are swinging, yanking, and pulling things around heavy chunks of steel overhead without good quality,maintained equipment.

just a thought.

Agreed. If you're going to half ass it, at least make sure you've got some sort of mechanical safety (or two!) in place in case of failure. You have to ask yourself whether it's worth risking life and limb to cheap out on a overhead hoist. How much is your life worth?

#8 ·
Benzz0 said:
good point on the mechanical brake/pulley setup...sound slike a good idea

The amount of use this will get will be few and far between - IF that :D thanks folks

if its only going to get used "far and far between" just make something up like this, and use a chain come-along (sp?) dont remember how much it cost to build but it has paid for its self over and over again. i use it to lift the front and back end of the truck or jeeps, pull motors, basically anything with lifting involved, its on large caster wheels so it roles good even over all the mess thats in the shop :D . well if you have a high enough shop.

#9 ·
lincontaco said:
if its only going to get used "far and far between" just make something up like this, and use a chain come-along (sp?) dont remember how much it cost to build but it has paid for its self over and over again. i use it to lift the front and back end of the truck or jeeps, pull motors, basically anything with lifting involved, its on large caster wheels so it roles good even over all the mess thats in the shop :D . well if you have a high enough shop.

Thats nice and all but do ytou have a flash on that camera? :flipoff2: I have a quonset hut thats about 24' cieling so its plenty tall :D

Thanks...the caster wheels are a given

#10 ·
lincontaco said:
More pics and specs, please.

Thanks,

Al

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.