Pirate 4x4 banner

inverter for tool use

893 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Todd W 
#1 ·
Would you trust this HF cheapie for running tools on the trail?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91848

I don't know if 700w is big enough though. It would meet the requrements of a 4.5" grinder while running, but not shure about the startup. It should have no problems with a 3/8 drill. What about sawsalls.

The other one I have available around here is a 750W B&D at wally world for $68.

#6 ·
I've got an inverter which is a Statpower 800W continuous and 1000W sustained (5 minutes they say). I've used it to cut fenders on the trail (long story) with a grinder and cutting disc. The grinder was a cheapie Skil from Wally World, I think it's a 5 or 5.5A grinder. It tripped the inverter once when we were really making it work.

It's great for 3/8" drills. Has also ran a buddy's laptop and charged cordless tool batts back in camp. However be careful as its' hard to find a 1/2" drill that's less than 7 or 8A, you have to go homeowner grade like Black & Decker to get so little motor in a 1/2" drill.

Last year we tried to run a Sawzall with it. All we had in camp was a 10A Sawzall, I figured maybe it'd work if we went easy. Nope, it'd trip the inverter shortly after start-up.

That's all that I personally have experience with. Oh, it will happily run my 1x1 (1 hp, 1 gallon) Shop Vac without issue, and it has of course run my Dremel (I think Dremels pull like an amp) no problem.

#7 ·
I picked up a 1500W continous Xantrex from Costco for about $85 last year. I run the microwave in my camper off it which is a 900w one, or to charge the batteries if I need to. I have all three batteries on my PSD/camper tied together, so I can go for a while without needing to start the truck. I haven't found a better deal on an inverter than that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.