Pirate 4x4 banner

Whats your favorite combo wrench

881 views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  CrustyJeep 
#1 ·
What brand and why, im looking to get a pretty complete set of metric and standard. I want the option for the set to go pretty big (as in at last 1 5/16)

Also thinking of getting a set of long patterns and stubbys instead of just one "normal" set. Thoughts? Price does matter, I would love to just get a set of craftsmans, but are they worth it? Im working in a shop now and need a good set of tools since I use them hard every day. Dont just say snapon is better because its the most expensive - give some reasons WHY you like a certain kind.

#4 ·
MAC. Personal preference, I like the fat handles. SnapOns are hard on the fingers with their thin/wide handles, but otherwise at least as good as MAC. Anything else is ghetto :D I've never done any serious shopping on any trucks other than MAC and SnapOn, but outside of trucks I've never seen a wrench that comes close to MAC's in terms of finish, comfort, strength, selection etc.

I keep regulars and longs. I only use the regulars when the longs won't fit. I have no stubbies and hardly ever have a reason to want one, so I think if I got a set they'd get used once a year.

If you're pro, get the good stuff. You get used to the cost, and good tools make you an organization nazi, so you'll hardly ever lose one. Therefore, they are a life long investent.

The only problem is, later on when you move on to something else and just work in the garage, you'll be too spoiled to stomach any other type of tools. Like me :D

#6 ·
You can read all you want here http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267472

Something to think about...I only go up to a 1 1/4" wrench then have a large Cresent brand adjustable wrench that takes over from there. Rarely will you ever need to go bigger than 1 1/4", and when you do there will be plenty of room to get an adjustable wrench in there. On that note a good quality adjustable wrench, I have a couple of Snap-on's, will flex less than any brand of open end wrenchs. I learned this lesson when doing alignments, and breaking the frozen lock nuts loose on the tie rod ends.

#7 · (Edited)
ID say SK... High quality, very nice finish, and they arnt thin and square like snap ons are, so they are way more comfortable to use. Snap ons are excellent quality, no doubt, but they are rediculously overpriced and uncomfortable, in my opinion. They are one of the very few snap on hand tools I would recomend NOT buying. The heads on SK wrenches are pretty much the same as snap ons.

AS for the set, Id say avoid the stubby wrenches. For MOST work, they are useless. My friend has a set of them and he rarely uses them(he tries to sell them to me all the time)

Id say Get a set of long pattern in 6pt (for the SERIOUS yanking) and regular length in 12 pt.

www.thetoolwarehouse.net has a huge selection of SK wrenches at awesome prices. Just because they are less than snap on doesnt mean they arnt as good. Remember, alot of snap on stuff is way overpriced. If you dont mind paying the extra$$$ and dont mind how thin the handes are, then go for the snap ons, but I havefound SK are much more comfortable, and they do hold up to daily abuse.

Proto Series 500 full polish are probably the most comfortable wrenches that I have ever used(followed closely by SK) but proto is a stanley company, so i refuse tobuy them.

Jim

#8 ·
My aviation tool box has Snap-on. Like some others have mentioned they tend to be a bit slim and cut into the fingers. My auto box has SK and craftsman. I actualy like the extra ridge on the craftsman. I think this ends up in every post of this ilk, but you really have to put hands on the things and see which ones you like the best. Or on the other hand maybe you are'nt overly critical and would be just as happy with any of the brands. Just remember if you really have to gronk on something 6 point is usually better than 12.

#9 ·
As far as wrenches are concerned, I prefer Craftsman. I've never had one fail, and if you want the extra bling, instead of the semi-dull finish, get their fully polished ones. For almost everything else, I own snap-on, DEFINITELY worth the investment. I probably stripped the gears of at least 1/2 dozen craftsman ratchets before buying snap-on, now I own about 7 of them in different lengths/drive sizes. Plus, the finish on snap-on tools is more durable than the craftsman's.

But, as mentioned earlier, snap-on wrenches are fairly uncomfortable to use.

Since price does matter if you're on a budget, type "MAC tools" into eBay, and you'll be surprised what's out there for cheap.

#10 ·
i also like the polished craftsman, they are much longer then the standard unpolished ones.

get the new 60 tooth low profile pro. ratchet from sears it has 2x the tooth contact that the other craftsmans do, ive use it everyday for months and i like it better then my dads snapon and a friends mac.

#13 ·
cheaprides said:
i also like the polished craftsman, they are much longer then the standard unpolished ones.

get the new 60 tooth low profile pro. ratchet from sears it has 2x the tooth contact that the other craftsmans do, ive use it everyday for months and i like it better then my dads snapon and a friends mac.
I just bought their ratchets (low profile) figured I could try them for less than a third of the cost of snapons (which i use every day at work - other mechanic has them that i use) Honestly I like my craftsmans better now as well. Time will tell how they hold up.

Im really looking at the SK wrenches, they are pretty comfortable and seem to be a step up from craftsman. Any more opinions on them?

#14 · (Edited)
DarkEternal said:
I just bought their ratchets (low profile) figured I could try them for less than a third of the cost of snapons (which i use every day at work - other mechanic has them that i use) Honestly I like my craftsmans better now as well. Time will tell how they hold up.

Im really looking at the SK wrenches, they are pretty comfortable and seem to be a step up from craftsman. Any more opinions on them?
Yes, the low profile ratchets are VERY nice. I have a feeling thier are based off of the matco 60 tooth ratchets.

As for SK wrenches... You will love them. Def. a step up from craftsman, and they arnt much more than the craftsman full polsih wrenches when you get them from the site I posted.

*edit*

I Just measured/compared a craftsman 1 inch to an SK 1 inch....

open end thickness
C-man .41
Sk .413

Handle thickness
C-man .277/.44 at panel
Sk .34

Box end hieght.
C-man .541
Sk .521

Box end thickness...
c-man .253
SK .147

So the SK has a slightly thicker open end, but otherwise, its a better wrench that the craftsman.

Luckily I needed a break from writing my paper, so I took a few measurements for ya.

Jim

#15 ·
I like the snap on wrenches best myself. I think I like them because they grip with out stripping the nut a bit better than most brands but also because you can get them in the long bend with an "S" shaped offset so that you are pulling parrallel to the nut instead of out at an angle. This helps along with the longer length to be able to pull on it comfortably without the wrench trying to pull off the nut. The Professional Craftsman's are nice too if your on a tighter budget.

Jason :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.