Pirate 4x4 banner

Snap on tool boxs

6K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  HMD 
#1 ·
I think Im going to get a big Snap On box, wich one do you guys have?

#3 ·
I have a Snap-On KRL1003. Snap-On boxes are the best, but you're going to pay for it. If I had it to do over, I would probably get something less expensive. Here's a picture of mine...

Attachments

#7 ·
1985CJ7Laredo said:
I've got a snapon box that's at least 10 years old now. It is in excellent condition still. All the sliders are great. I think you get what you pay for with tool boxes.
I have abox that is probably close to 40 years old, and it is solid! Very impressive, but part time jobs dont exactly pay enough to buy snap on boxes, so Im stuck with craftsmans:(

Jim

#8 ·
Kartracer55 said:
I have abox that is probably close to 40 years old, and it is solid! Very impressive, but part time jobs dont exactly pay enough to buy snap on boxes, so Im stuck with craftsmans:(

Jim
Here is my take on it:

I am just starting off my professional career (only part time now as I go through school but will open my own shop in the future) and at first I was going to get a mid level craftsman. After working with the other mechanic for a few months ive decided to not do that and invest in the best box i can afford. Why you ask? Hes got a very nice snapon, and after using it every day and going to sears and playing with even their top of the line ones, there is no comparison. If your actually going to be doing this for a living then look at it as an investment. You will be using this hundreds if not thousands of times a day for the rest of your career. A computer graphics artist will spend 5k+ on a computer every few years, so dont you think its reasonable to even spend 10k or so on a toolbox just once? Also isnt 10k a reasonable price to pay to protect maybe as much as 100k or more of tools you can keep in it that you will aquire over the years? Thats how I see it at least, as soon as I get enough tools to grow out of the roll around I have now ill be investing in a very nice snapon box that will have tons of room to grow into.

#9 ·
You might want to think of this first. Will the Snap-on dealer upgrade you to a larger box down the road giving you 100% trade in value? My dealer did on a used box I bought from him and I happily upgraded from the smaller box to a brand new larger box, which I still have today. $10K is too much money to spend on a box in the beginning. You will be better off spending more on the tools that make you money. A used Snap-on box is a great way to go, and it will still have the warranty.

That leaves another topic of is one tool box better than two or three. I see these guys with their tool boxes that have sides and hutches with tops. They look great and store tools well, but my tool box is my work bench. I just rebuilt my transmission on top of my box. One of my boxes houses most of my infrequently used tools and electronic equipment. My other box is my work station. All my sockets, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, hammers, and other commonly used tools are stored in it. Both my tools boxes have vices mounted on top. My primary box has 1/4 plate covering the entire top. I beat the shit of things in the vice and top of my box, when needed, and have never damaged my box. One of the main reasons I run two tools boxes is just so I can hammer on my box without shaking up my electronics at all. The other is because when you have a shop set up with multiple lifts and you are moving your tool box around the shop a smaller box is easier. It is much easier to move your box to the job than be constantly walking across the shop carrying tools over to your roll cart. Been there done that and will never do that again. Personally I hate top boxes, as I prefer to have my box right behind me so I can open a drawer and grab whatever I need without letting go of the car. Also lets me put tools on top of the box never on the car so they can be lost. Something I call bolt counting, it is the system I use to make sure I can put the job back together, means taking small boxes or spray can tops and laying out the job in order so when it is time to go back together I just reverse order. Rarely is there a question of what bolt goes where. Time is money and it may not seem immediate to you, but the boss is always watching his profits, which is what allows you to get a raise. If you want your own shop, then it will be your money on the line.

#10 ·
DarkEternal said:
Here is my take on it:

I am just starting off my professional career (only part time now as I go through school but will open my own shop in the future) and at first I was going to get a mid level craftsman. After working with the other mechanic for a few months ive decided to not do that and invest in the best box i can afford. Why you ask? Hes got a very nice snapon, and after using it every day and going to sears and playing with even their top of the line ones, there is no comparison. If your actually going to be doing this for a living then look at it as an investment. You will be using this hundreds if not thousands of times a day for the rest of your career. A computer graphics artist will spend 5k+ on a computer every few years, so dont you think its reasonable to even spend 10k or so on a toolbox just once? Also isnt 10k a reasonable price to pay to protect maybe as much as 100k or more of tools you can keep in it that you will aquire over the years? Thats how I see it at least, as soon as I get enough tools to grow out of the roll around I have now ill be investing in a very nice snapon box that will have tons of room to grow into.
You are very right, but I buyc heap boxes so I cn buy good tools... besides, Im not a mechanic. how old are you? If your still in liek vo-tech or whatever, as your instructer about "student discounts" on snap on tools.

Jim

#11 ·
I don't have a bling Snap-on box, so can't comment on that, but I can say I support not getting the stack on boxes. I use mine as a work bench all the time. I even got some 1" oak tung-n-groove left-overs to make a top for it so I don't have the metal top getting dinged up. Also added a "gutter" so fluids drain off the end. I've done transmissions, transfer cases, and all manner of repairs up there. It's also very convienient to roll your box right up to where you're working and have your work surface right handy along with your tools. When I worked in a shop, several of the guys with more experience liked what they saw so much they took their top boxes and set them on the bench and copied my setup. My current shop is too full/cluttered for it to be much use, but it sure was nice at the time...

I can also vouce for the box/organization thing as I did that too on anything but minor projects. I had some plastic small rubber made (holds up) boxes that stacked compactly inside each other. They were also numbered so the order was implied and easily reversed, and probably helped most when someone else "inherited" the job because I got forced off to other things.

Sounds like Peter does things almost exactly the way I did, other than buying a Snapon box. :D

#12 · (Edited)
Long answer (I kept my mouth shut before)

dont you think its reasonable to even spend 10k or so on a toolbox just once?
No, Buy a repo box that someone else quit making payments on instead. It's not like they wear out overnight.
Also isnt 10k a reasonable price to pay to protect maybe as much as 100k or more of tools you can keep in it that you will aquire over the years?
-You can afford $10K, but you're too friggin cheap to spend ~$300 on a set of Snap-On wrenches that will be in your hands all day? (I read your other post)
-You are considering having $100K in tools but they aren't itemized, aren't covered under your employer's insurance and you really expect a tool box lock to protect them? I can crack Snap-On's "theft resistant" lock in about 30 seconds without damage. Why do I waste my time typing? :rolleyes:

Let me try to "deprogram" your overly impressionable mind. It sounds like the Snap-On guy's trying to brainwash you into financing because you're quoting their usual sales pitch......

I have all Snap-On boxes and here's my investment: For my top box I've got a small Snap-On flip front style I got years ago when I bought my first Snap-On tools as a VoTech student at a community college that had a Chrysler apprenticeship program. I had the industrial price (51% of retail). I wouldn't have bought it but I pretty much got the box for free by the time you figured out all my discounts and you gotta start somewhere. My middle 3 drawer Snap-On box was fished out of a scrap metal dumpster on an Air Force Base. No, I'm not joking... they chucked it because the lock was broken and it had a small dent on top. My lower Snap-On box is so old is has the 60's style script Snap-On logo and it was a couple hundred bucks from a Matco dealer (Model# KRap? :flipoff2: ). Still works fine. I bought my side cabinet from a guy I worked with for $20 and a case of Budweiser. Customers don't see my boxes, so I could give a fawk less if they look pretty. Whatever you get, don't make the mistake I did - go short and wide, not narrow and tall. Makes work a lot easier and has a nice fringe benefit if you are a professional - it forces "them" (your shop's higher-ups) to give you a bigger chunk of floor space that you can call your own.

That being said, let the trashtalkin' begin!!!!

I have spent a lot of $$$ on Snap-On (tools, not boxes) and have dealt with the B.S. most Snap-On retail dealers spew for many years, so I feel I am both qualified and justified making the following statement:

IMHO Snap-On boxes are like ferraris ... you can lie to yourself all fawkin day rationalizing how they are worth the money and how well they're made BUT.... when it comes to Snap-On boxes, cut the crap it's all about "status" not function. You are flushing money down the toilet buying a Snap-On box new. Want to buy a "collector series"? Congratulations on your fine investment! Let me know how much your box appreciates in value over the next 10 years after it's been in an actual working garage or shop getting sparks thrown at it and grease splatters on a daily basis. If you can actually convince yourself that a blingin' box is actually going to earn you more money, go for it. If you have 15 or 20 grand burning a hole in your pocket, Go buy the biggest baddest Snap-On box there is and quit asking dumb questions - you lucky bastard! I'll opt-out of your dick waving contest.
There is only one possible exception, and it's a stretch at best... If you *own* the shop and *your customers* see your work area they do tend to equate big pretty toolboxes that say Snap-On in big chrome letters with competent professional mechanics (If they only knew the truth :rolleyes: ) so I can see how the price might be justifiable. Just like momma always said...."It's what's on the inside that counts", that coincidentally applies to toolboxes as well as people.
I also know what Snap-On's profit is on retail because I bought at Snap-On's industrial price when I was a student so if you're a Snap-On dealer (franchisee) reading this, stfu you motherfawkin crook! However, If you're a Snap-On industrial rep reading this - you sell really nice tools that are indeed reasonably priced considering their extreme high quality and guarantee, thank you. I don't have any prob with Snap-On's tools, but their dealer policies (and most of their *retail* dealers) are stupid.

If you're smart here's a good starter toolbox that may look ghetto, but it's quality and will give you plenty of room to grow:
Buy two older used Snap-On narrow boxes. They are cheap as hell because nobody wants narrow boxes anymore. "Sister" them together with a welded angle iron frame. Add four good industrial casters from Grainger or wherever.
weld a piece of plate over the top for a work surface and make slots in the edge so you can run two bars through the front that you can padlock at night (that will actually slow a thief for more than 30 seconds). The only thing you won't have is an "extra long" drawer for your extensions and ratchets over 3 feet - think you can make the sacrifice?

#14 ·
Keep in mind that strap-on is NOT the only tool company out there. I use a very nice MB4725 Matco box that I bought brand new from a dealer for WAY less than he even paid for it. I know that those deals don't come along every day, but they're worth looking out for. I used old Craftsman boxes for a long time before I upgraded to the big toolbox too. Generally speaking, your toolbox won't ever make you any money. It's the tools inside that make you the money, so what difference does it make if you have a $500 Craftsman toolbox or a $10000 snap on box?

Ryan

#15 ·
I agree with bumpydodge I started with crapmans used boxes from local pawn shop back in 78 I still have them out in home garage and store junk in them. I bought snap on boxes in 83 KRA's I beleive top and bottom used for 600 I still used them the bottom has been crashed into 2 times and the top was involved in a roll over in the back of my Bronco and they all still work.
I bought a new matching top box 5 years ago and use my old top box for a road box. I tried the mac mb1500 back when they first came out in late 80s and found it to be to small so I gave it back
I now have 12 drawer top 2 drawer center 5 drawer bottom and 2 side cabinets along with a roll cart with my road box on it
the one thing I like is my boxes are ugly and ther 2 times shops I have worked in got robbed they left my ugly boxes alone

#16 ·
Its not that im not willing to spend the money on snapon wrenches - its that I think they are uncomfortable. Why I was asking what everyones favorite was. I almost never use the snapons at work if i can help it because they are uncomfortable.

Im actually a government and politics major at UT Dallas - go figure, and work at an offroad shop 3-5 days a week as the 2nd mechanic and fabricator.

The snapon guy actually hasnt tried to sell me a tool box at all, this is just what I kinda was thinking myself. I used a craftsman pro box and the main mechanics snap on box and there wasnt even CLOSE to a comparison, the snapon was 100x nicer. I wouldnt mind buying a used box at all, ill also admit that I havnt looked at other brands, so who knows how nice they are - no experiance with them.

I definatly agree with wide and deep, not tall, i like having the work space on top as well even though we have a seperate work bench.

Also I really dont have a snapon bias, if anything I have a craftsman bias. I own alot of craftsman tools and the only snapon tool I own is a deadblow hammer because craftsman doesnt offer anything like it.

Your take on it?

#17 ·
BumpyDodge said:
No, Buy a repo box that someone else quit making payments on instead. It's not like they wear out overnight.

-You can afford $10K, but you're too friggin cheap to spend ~$300 on a set of Snap-On wrenches that will be in your hands all day? (I read your other post)
-You are considering having $100K in tools but they aren't itemized, aren't covered under your employer's insurance and you really expect a tool box lock to protect them? I can crack Snap-On's "theft resistant" lock in about 30 seconds without damage. Why do I waste my time typing? :rolleyes:

Let me try to "deprogram" your overly impressionable mind. It sounds like the Snap-On guy's trying to brainwash you into financing because you're quoting their usual sales pitch......

I have all Snap-On boxes and here's my investment: For my top box I've got a small Snap-On flip front style I got years ago when I bought my first Snap-On tools as a VoTech student at a community college that had a Chrysler apprenticeship program. I had the industrial price (51% of retail). I wouldn't have bought it but I pretty much got the box for free by the time you figured out all my discounts and you gotta start somewhere. My middle 3 drawer Snap-On box was fished out of a scrap metal dumpster on an Air Force Base. No, I'm not joking... they chucked it because the lock was broken and it had a small dent on top. My lower Snap-On box is so old is has the 60's style script Snap-On logo and it was a couple hundred bucks from a Matco dealer (Model# KRap? :flipoff2: ). Still works fine. I bought my side cabinet from a guy I worked with for $20 and a case of Budweiser. Customers don't see my boxes, so I could give a fawk less if they look pretty. Whatever you get, don't make the mistake I did - go short and wide, not narrow and tall. Makes work a lot easier and has a nice fringe benefit if you are a professional - it forces "them" (your shop's higher-ups) to give you a bigger chunk of floor space that you can call your own.

That being said, let the trashtalkin' begin!!!!

I have spent a lot of $$$ on Snap-On (tools, not boxes) and have dealt with the B.S. most Snap-On retail dealers spew for many years, so I feel I am both qualified and justified making the following statement:

IMHO Snap-On boxes are like ferraris ... you can lie to yourself all fawkin day rationalizing how they are worth the money and how well they're made BUT.... when it comes to Snap-On boxes, cut the crap it's all about "status" not function. You are flushing money down the toilet buying a Snap-On box new. Want to buy a "collector series"? Congratulations on your fine investment! Let me know how much your box appreciates in value over the next 10 years after it's been in an actual working garage or shop getting sparks thrown at it and grease splatters on a daily basis. If you can actually convince yourself that a blingin' box is actually going to earn you more money, go for it. If you have 15 or 20 grand burning a hole in your pocket, Go buy the biggest baddest Snap-On box there is and quit asking dumb questions - you lucky bastard! I'll opt-out of your dick waving contest.
There is only one possible exception, and it's a stretch at best... If you *own* the shop and *your customers* see your work area they do tend to equate big pretty toolboxes that say Snap-On in big chrome letters with competent professional mechanics (If they only knew the truth :rolleyes: ) so I can see how the price might be justifiable. Just like momma always said...."It's what's on the inside that counts", that coincidentally applies to toolboxes as well as people.
I also know what Snap-On's profit is on retail because I bought at Snap-On's industrial price when I was a student so if you're a Snap-On dealer (franchisee) reading this, stfu you motherfawkin crook! However, If you're a Snap-On industrial rep reading this - you sell really nice tools that are indeed reasonably priced considering their extreme high quality and guarantee, thank you. I don't have any prob with Snap-On's tools, but their dealer policies (and most of their *retail* dealers) are stupid.

If you're smart here's a good starter toolbox that may look ghetto, but it's quality and will give you plenty of room to grow:
Buy two older used Snap-On narrow boxes. They are cheap as hell because nobody wants narrow boxes anymore. "Sister" them together with a welded angle iron frame. Add four good industrial casters from Grainger or wherever.
weld a piece of plate over the top for a work surface and make slots in the edge so you can run two bars through the front that you can padlock at night (that will actually slow a thief for more than 30 seconds). The only thing you won't have is an "extra long" drawer for your extensions and ratchets over 3 feet - think you can make the sacrifice?

so your saying that me having the biggest box snappy makes is just status?
EVERY drawer is full, not just organized, full. sure is nice to have it all in one place.

#22 ·
kpfitz said:
I find that a inexpensive craftsman box with snap on tools was good for me. Never felt there was a need for that expensive of a box. You can by alot of tools with the extra money
Ditto on that. I have all snap on wrenches and precision tools, but carry them in a ball bearing crapsman. Really only because my first tool box was a 1960's roll cab bottom that was given to me for free by a buddy... with old school large drawer sliders that have held up fine over the years. Kind of forced me to get a crapsman top, and then upgrade to an intermediate as well.

No contest with a snap on box... I totally agree that they are a world better... but I can't justify a 10K box when I could get 10K of sweet tools instead. I will put out a plug for crapsman ball bearing slider crap only, and their supposedly "professional" line... these are decent, though certainly not top quality. The standard friction sliders are the biggest piece of crap ever. Useless for a drawer full of 75 lbs of wrenches and hammers.

#24 ·
First of let me say I have a KRL1003,top huch, stainless top, locker, and a docker locker. Now with that out of the way.

Yes they were very expencive, but worthit in my opinion. Also when i shoped around when i bought my base box it was actuly cheaper them Matco amd mack. But this is not what i started with when i got my job. When i walked in the door the first day i had a three drawer crastman carry box with barowed tools from my dad. That was Sep '99. Over the time spent their i have spent all the money on tools, bought a cheap noname box at a pawn used it till it was overfilled. Then i would buy a bigger box, did that two or three times then i got a Doubble bay matco top and bottom. Payed the box off on time all the while buying tools some from trucks, some from pawns, flemarket , every where that i could get a good deal on them. In time i out grew the matco, then traded in on the snapon.

Also one thing i had to think about was the weight of my tools and the life exp. of my boxes. All the cheaper boxes including the Matco werent made to stand up to the weight. Now if i was just a normal wrench in like a dealer or such thoes boxes would be great.(One inch drive guns and socket and wrenches over 2" add up quick)

Also i would advise also is weight a while to buy big ticket items until you have put a few years in and are sure you want to do this for a good long time to get your moneys worth out of you tools.

#26 ·
I need a new top box, as I'm out of space now. I like a small box with at least three wide drawers, and at least three smaller drawers on top (three or six). I'd prefer a dropped upper lip, so I can put sockets closer to the front and still be able to grab them easily. I want a decent quality box, although full snap-on quality is over kill for me.

The only box I've found that seems to suit me is a Snappy. ~$900 :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.