Pirate 4x4 banner

HF MIG Cart Review

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Clodhopper 
#1 · (Edited)
I was going to build a new design of welder cart. My design was going to be based on a hand truck, so I went to HF to buy one. I found this item there....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90305

I got it for $39.99, which was too good a price to pass up.

I liked the color of blue. The finish was good, except where the axle tube was welded to the bottom. The paint was a little thin there, and there was rust in the joint. The hardware, although definately not American made, was some of the better Asian hardware I have seen. There were even grade markings on the bolts. It fit together well, and was reasonably sturdy.

I didn't much like the wheels or casters, so I used the ones from my old cart. Here, the original wheels and casters are shown on the ground.

I think it was a good buy, and would recommend it.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
That's funny. I went to HF about two years ago and bought a hand truck to convert to a welding cart. The tank and cooler went on the bottom plate of the truck, and the welder got mounted on the rear. It turned out ok, but now I want to build a regular cart. The HF cart has no place for a cooler, so I may have to make my own.

frankenfab said:
I was going to build a new design of welder cart. My design was going to be based on a hand truck, so I went to HF to buy one.

#6 ·
I picked up the same cart at HF. I was needing to build one when the HF ad arrived with that cart on sale. That is the sale price by the way, they are usually more expensive. At the sale price, it just wasn't worth the time and materials to build one. Besides, one I got it home, my wife and 3yr old son put it together. I didn't even have to do that! :D

The paint on mine was maybe not quite as good. It appears it was dipped and hung, as one of the trays had a full corner and some bare spots from bubbles. Don't care about the paint as it will get beat up anyway. Although the casters aren't great, they seem to work just fine with the welder, tank and tools on board. I will be adding some standoffs for the tank as it is in contact with the welder.

For a simple cart that functions, it is hard to beat the price.

#7 ·
When it is empty, is it stiff enough not to rack diagonally? How about when loaded?

A buddy bought the older HF gray model an it racked so badly that it was in the trash the next week.

Have they stiffened up the design?

Randii

#10 ·
randii said:
Is it stiff enough not to rack diagonally?
It is reasonably stiff. It could be a little sturdier (a person could easily add reinforcing), but I think it is acceptable.

Clodhopper said:
I just noticed you have a liner in the pans on your cart.
I added it. It is rubber floor mat.

Attachments

#12 ·
Yea-I have that thing. After buying I highly suggest upgrading the casters on the front end. My Miller 175 almost took a huge dump because of my cheap cart. The front caster broke and the unit almost fell over, if I hadn't been turning the cart to make an adjustment on the front it would have hit the floor. Get rid of the stock casters and get some good ones to replace them with, if you can while your at it, widen the stance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.