Pirate 4x4 banner

wiring shop

673 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  CJredneck 
#1 · (Edited)
When I purchased my home it came with a 25x40 work shop that had a commerical wire basket making business. They told me is had 480 power. It says that in my paperwork when I got the house. I gutted my garage now I am thinking that is doesn't have 480. The wire from the pole comes into a big switch box. Then into a breaker panel. I opened the switch box and 3 wires come into it. 2 powers 1 neutral? Inside it says

JU324____________horsepower
volts_____________phase
______________1_____2_____3_____DC
240AC________30__________50
250DC__________________________ 40

So I ask you what do I have? bulding wired for only 240?
thanks for the help

#3 · (Edited)
The switch nameplate tells us its a motor rated switch that is rated for a 30HP motor with single phase 240V and a 50HP motor with 240V three phase power. It tells us nothing about your service as it sounds like it is a disconnect for the building. As it is rated for a 40HP motor with 250V DC the switch should have a non motor rating of 200A.

As far as what service you have look at your meter base or call your utility. What is connected between your service point and the disconnect in the building is unknown to us.

#6 · (Edited)
Guy that owned it before me. His father owned my whole road and ran a multi million dollar wire basket business with lots of big equipment back in the day most likely 3 phase stuff. His son moved the buiness over to my shop that I own on and shrunk it down. Figuring he was useing the same old equipment and tied to 480 in the road that ran to his fathers place. Doesn't look like it though. I am going to call the power company to see if it is out in the road and how much to tie into it. I am moving my father's machine shop over here and he has power converter {over what ever you call it} to change the power on the bridgeport and lathe. So I was thinking of using those and put a plug of the other end and then just make up thick extension cords. Plug in the machine that I will be using at that time. Was planning on buying alot of different 3 phase equipment cuz its cheaper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.