Pirate 4x4 banner

Propane tank for compressor?

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Camarogenius 
#1 ·
I'm buying a large 2 stage compressor motor that has been bolted onto a small homade pipe tank. I'd say this compressor motor would go on a 125 gallon tank normally.
Could I use a 150 gallon propane tank for this? I know, just find a tank, but I can get this propane tank for free. Would it handle 120 psi?
Am I trying to kill myself?

#4 ·
Camarogenius said:
I'm buying a large 2 stage compressor motor that has been bolted onto a small homade pipe tank. I'd say this compressor motor would go on a 125 gallon tank normally.
Could I use a 150 gallon propane tank for this? I know, just find a tank, but I can get this propane tank for free. Would it handle 120 psi?
Am I trying to kill myself?
IMO, I wouldn't see any harm in using a 150 gallon propane tank for an air comp. tank.

However............ Before, you start fabricating/welding mounting plates, I would pressure test the vessel with a pressure gauge and see if it leaks down overnite. Btw, does the prop tank have a data plate?

#6 ·
I know a lot of people that have used freon tanks as holding tanks for small compressors. LPG is much higher pressure than you are using for air, so I don't see any problems as long as the LPG has been purged... :)

#9 ·
ok take off the valve from propane tank.. and then fill it up all way up with water then drain it

no propane in the system then use it with air.. u wont have any problem wtih cutoff or anything mentioned above.. and if u need to weld some bracket or something on it.. u have to fill/drain the water in there for saftey..

#10 ·
i made a few holding tanks by tapping the valve and making an adapter from the valve to a npt fitting. it works great, its way heavyer then a regular 5-10 gal tank.

but i can not get the smell of propane out of the tank. its been empty for a long time (whole valve taken out) and ive emptied it maybe 40 times to try and get the smell out.

maybe wash it with parts cleaner or something.

#15 ·
I used a 100 # propane tank for a portable air tank and yes it smelled like propane after 100 refills. After a cherry air freshener was added to the tank (2 ounces of liquid), it cured the problem, cherry is easier on the nose than propane.

I agree with other posts it is plenty strong propane is between 200 - 300 PSI depending on temperature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.