Pirate 4x4 banner

Need to run a 220 line to an outbuilding

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Jeepnford 
#1 ·
I need to get a 220 line out to the garage which is separate from the house.

Things I have going for me:
1. Fusebox is very close to the garage (20' tops)
2. Already a couple of 220 lines run inside the house (drier & ham radio room)
3. 110 line already run in underground conduit

Things not going for me:
1. Fusebox is totally full - no places for more breakers

I'm electrically challenged.

Am I going to have to have the breaker box replaced with a larger unit?
Can I just use one of the existing 220 lines and have it run off that circuit?
How much should I expect to pay for this?

#3 ·
Get rid of the ham radio cir. and run that to the garage. Dig a small trench and run some plastic conduit I think you can use some #8's for that distance or some 6's. Use a 50-70amp breaker in the panel if you have the room, also depends on what you are going to use it for...welder, plasma cutter. The washer you have probably runs on a 30-40 amp breaker with smaller wire. You could risk burning the wire if you have a big welder, or most likly blow the fuse all the time. see if there is anything that you can combine and open up some room then run some wire and put in a small sub panel in the garage and go from there. Or you can do what EMG7895 posted...If you plan on living in the house for ever upgrading the panel would be a good idea, then you will have plenty of room for future add ins...probably cost you a grand or so, depends on who you know and what you want....Hope this helps...call some companies and see if you can get a quote over the phone or maybe they can send someone out...

#6 ·
I dont have a garage, so this is what I did. I put in a 70 amp breaker hard wired a so cord 200+ft to the driveway put a cord cap on the end and plug in the welder...might run you some money....and that does not help with the no space in the panel, maybe make a compromise between the drier and your welder. That is the only thing that I think of to make it easy for you...

#7 ·
Mo said:
3. 110 line already run in underground conduit

Things not going for me:
1. Fusebox is totally full - no places for more breakers
How big is this underground conduit, and what size wires are in it?

Twin/half-size/quad breakers can likely to utilized to fit more in the panel. Snap us a pic of the panel and a panel schedule... that'll get the creative juices flowing. :D

#8 ·
If the breakers are just single units you can usually get replacement breakers up to 20 amp (I think)that are two breakers but only use one slot. When I built my garage I repaced the meter base on the house with a 400 amp one and ran a seperate 200 amp to the garage. The downside is it gets fairly expensive having to buy a meter base and the cut-off switches. I also hired an electrician to do the meter work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.