Pirate 4x4 banner

what do you think

1K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  desertsport 
#1 ·
what do you guys think about this bender, cost, quality. any other opinions, for under 500 are there any other quality benders. I wont be making a cage, with it mainley bumper, stinger, go carts.
http://www.lowbucktools.com/hydbender.html

#4 · (Edited)
What happens though when you want to bend past 90* or bend a reasonable radius? It looks like you'll be SOL and have to get a whole different bender.

Personally, I'd go with a mechanical PT105 first, at ~ $150 more (including a die). You get a known good bender, 180* bends if you want, good radiuses, PLENTY of die choices.

And lets face it, man-power over hydro is not an improvement over mechanical. Trust me, mine is man/hydro and it sucks (porta-power pump). In fact, it might be worse, because with a mechanical bender you can put your whole weight into the rowing, where with a bottle jack, it's pretty much just your arm doing all the work.

#5 ·
CrustyJeep said:
What happens though when you want to bend past 90* or bend a reasonable radius? It looks like you'll be SOL and have to get a whole different bender.

Personally, I'd go with a mechanical PT105 first, at ~ $150 more (including a die). You get a known good bender, 180* bends if you want, good radiuses, PLENTY of die choices.

And lets face it, man-power over hydro is not an improvement over mechanical. Trust me, mine is man/hydro and it sucks (porta-power pump). In fact, it might be worse, because with a mechanical bender you can put your whole weight into the rowing, where with a bottle jack, it's pretty much just your arm doing all the work.
What is the pt 105 and its 650 with the die. do I have to uy any more accessories, or does it have everything to get started.

#6 ·
http://www.pro-tools.com/105.htm

Actually, you should be able to get a basic setup for even less... $638 gets you a stand and degree ring and stop. You could build your own stand, and the other bender you're looking has no provision for a degree ring. It's not the only way to measure your angles.

There's always the JD2 Model 3 bender as well for a comperable price:
http://www.jd2.com/

Look in the vendor showcase. You should be able to get a good bender and die for less than $500.

#7 ·
desertsport said:
What is the pt 105 and its 650 with the die. do I have to uy any more accessories, or does it have everything to get started.
Give Keith from Xtreme Crawlers a call 918-607-3328
or email: keith@xtremecrawlers.com

He will make sure you are getting what you are looking for.

Keith is all about Price and Service.

#8 ·
CrustyJeep said:
http://www.pro-tools.com/105.htm

Actually, you should be able to get a basic setup for even less... $638 gets you a stand and degree ring and stop. You could build your own stand, and the other bender you're looking has no provision for a degree ring. It's not the only way to measure your angles.

There's always the JD2 Model 3 bender as well for a comperable price:
http://www.jd2.com/

Look in the vendor showcase. You should be able to get a good bender and die for less than $500.
So for 638 I get all the things I need to get started. Do I also get a 180 degree die?
I just want to make sure I dont have any more cost If I get with the PT105 bender. I noticed the vender sell the also. how much from them.

#9 ·
Hit the vendor show case and ask for a quote. Tell 'em you want a bender for ~500, you want a bender, 180* die, a handle, and maybe a stand, and see what they can do. The 180* dies cost more than the 90*, so you're probly not going to be able to beat $500 with one, but I was trying to compare apples to apples.

IMO, whether you go over 500 or not, you'll be much better off with a protools or jd2 bender because of die choice, and because they can be upgraded to full hydro later if you want. There has been *plenty* of discussion here on how to do that.

#11 ·
lincontaco said:
but i wonder how well there notcher works
I have the notcher and it works great! Local stock car chassis shop uses one and it has been in service for over 15 years (and they are a full production shop). I may sell mine as I rarely use it. Has about 5 sets of dies and have only used the 1 & 1/2 inch set. Look up the price on their website and contact me if interested. (I think the notcher is 295 and extra dies are 95 each). I want $200 firm and you pay shipping (CA).

#12 ·
also here is another question. Do I need to use dom tubing. I wont be making a cage with it. mostly bumpers stingers etc. Maybe I dont really need a tube bender????
Just a thought.
What have you guys used to make your bumpers and other tube parts?

#13 ·
fabcam said:
Give Keith from Xtreme Crawlers a call 918-607-3328
or email: keith@xtremecrawlers.com

He will make sure you are getting what you are looking for.

Keith is all about Price and Service.
x2, I have gotten great service from Keith. I bought both my Bend-Tech 3D and my notcher through him, and he was very good on both. There was a slight delay in my notcher's shipment, and when I e-mailed him at 8:00 in the evening, I had a response within 45 minutes and a follow up the next morning. One more great PBB vendor :grinpimp:

Ryan

#14 ·
desertsport said:
also here is another question. Do I need to use dom tubing. I wont be making a cage with it. mostly bumpers stingers etc. Maybe I dont really need a tube bender????
Just a thought.
What have you guys used to make your bumpers and other tube parts?
If you don't use a bender, how else would you make corners in your tube? I can certainly see not using DOM for bumpers and stingers. I will refrain from further comment on that issue so we don't start up yet another DOM vs HREW vs CrMo discussion.

#15 ·
Flashover Mfg said:
If you don't use a bender, how else would you make corners in your tube? I can certainly see not using DOM for bumpers and stingers. I will refrain from further comment on that issue so we don't start up yet another DOM vs HREW vs CrMo discussion.
I thinking about using pipe, and using a pipe bender...
This is my goal before winter I would like to make some tube fenders stinger and grill hoop. what you you guy recemend me buying since I dont really see my self using the bender to much after that. And id hate do spend more than what I really need to. So what do you guys use to make your tubed stuff????

#16 ·
I've good success w/a harbor freight $80.00 pipe bender and 1 1/2 sch 40 pipe. to prevent kinking. cap 1 end and fill w/sand then cap the other end and then bend it. B4 you buy a JD2 and a die you really need to know what size pipe or tube your going to bend. Each die is specific to the pipe. Sch 40
pipe is pretty resistent to rocks.

H/F notcher works well too and works w/std hvy duty hole saws.FYI

#18 · (Edited)
desertsport said:
How well do you thing the pipe will hold up to rock or roll over. I will be making tube fenders stinger and hoop.
Look at it like this. If you have the money but don't WANT to spend it, buy the best you can afford, even if it hurts. One night when you're wheeling in the middle of nowhere and you take a hard roll, will you apply the $150 you saved to your hospital bill for the broken shoulder or your girlfriend's bill for the broken neck?
No, you'll roll on to your DOM or HREW cage and walk away thinking, " Crap! Am I glad I spent that extra buck and a half for something that maybe saved my life!" I've spent a lot more on some tools than I planned to but it only hurts until the first time it makes your life easier.

#19 ·
Butler said:
Look at it like this. If you have the money but don't WANT to spend it, buy the best you can afford, even if it hurts. One night when you're wheeling in the middle of nowhere and you take a hard roll, will you apply the $150 you saved to your hospital bill for the broken shoulder or your girlfriend's bill for the broken neck?
No, you'll roll on to your DOM or HREW cage and walk away thinking, " Crap! Am I glad I spent that extra buck and a half for something that maybe saved my life!" I've spent a lot more on some tools than I planned to but it only hurts until the first time it makes your life easier.
I wouldnt make a cage with a tube bender unless I was pretty confident with my skills, and since I only plan to make a stinger front hoop and tube fenders, I dont think my skill will be good enough to make a cage. That's why I was asking if pipe wold be a better option.

I mean, if I have to have a tube bender I will buy one. But if I can get away with a pipe bender I will. So I guess my question should be, what to you guys make stingers and what not out of? tube or pipe, how well they hold up, and would you use the same matireals if you had to do it again?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.