Pirate 4x4 banner

Tool Placement

988 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  desertsport 
#1 ·
Im currently working, on turning the garage into a small shop. The drywall is in, wiring is in. Half of its painted and ready to go.Its a 2 car and a small part is used for laundry and storage.So really 1 and 1 1/2 walls are usable for what ever I want. I know It's not a lot to work with, But Ill make it work. im ready to get some more power tools, Drill press, chop saw,and so on. I dont have to much room, and dont really want to have everything portabe like my table saw. I want it bolted to the bench. So my question is what tools do you use that are stationary, and how much space do you leave between each one or how much do you recemend. I dont run a business out of the garage, everything will be more for hobby and working on the jeep. So just some ideas about what I need to consider.

#2 · (Edited)
my uncle took a square table about 2'X2'. he mounted a power tool at each corner facing outwards each direction. If he needs the drill press he turns the table till the drill is outwards. If he needs the grinder he turns it outwards. same with other. Ya have to remember your limited, so make use of ever little bit of space ya have (corners included) When its not in use slide it to the side and out of the way. yeah it has wheels.

I also have a 2 car garage /shop. And I have no room for power tools on stand. The grinder is the only thing I have on a stand by its self. shelfs will become your best friend.

Ill be getting my mini shop (10'X20') built the week after next. I cant wait.:rolleyes:

#4 ·
Ill see if I can get one. He is in his 60 and doesn't know much about computers. But he loves to email. Ill see if he will send me one.

#6 ·
Moveable tools and equipment are your friends.:D Much easier when cleaning and expanding.

You could make a nice steel work table and at various places weld on some receiver tube under the top and make mounts that slide into them with your saw, vice, etc.

With mutiple receivers you could rearrange and take off what you need and don't need.

A storage shelf under the top would make for a nice tidy package.

BMB

#7 ·
Keep it mobile. A table saw needs a lot of room around it if your dealing with full sheets of ply. It needs to be in the middle of the room when in use. Hell if its a nice day you cant beat rolling it out of the shop onto the drive. Sure is nice just getting the yard blower out and blowing the dust into the lawn instead of having all that crap in the nooks and crannies of the shop.

I have a similar problem but a little more space and no W&D to contend with. I have a tall bench thats right at 40 inches. I am looking into building a rotating table that will have my contractors table saw, miter saw and router table. Think of a revolver. Thats what I have in mind. Set of flip up shelfs for feed extensions and low enough to roll under the tall bench. If that doesn't pan out then just a rolling table with drop in plugs with each tool already bolted to its own plug. If I go with the plug then I could also put a place for plugs to drop into the work bench. That way I could have both a miter and table saw available at the same time.

Personally I want a full size drill press. Those little table top models just don't impress me. My grinder is already on a small table. I plan to wheel it once I get a drill press and make it so I can swing the table for the drill press to the side and the grinder will slide in over the base to save space.

Honestly I keep as much mobile as I can. One of my work benches is a commercial grade stainless steel prep table like you would see in Publix Deli. It nice to be able to roll it out to sweep behind it. Or I can roll it over to what I am working on. My built in work benches I tried to keep plenty of room under them for ease of clean up. Everything on the floor I try to keep on wheels. It allows me to reconfigure easily to my current needs.

Plan for storage containers. I had been using milk crates for under bench storage containers. I spaced my shelving for them. Problem is they look like hell. With them being open bugs. spiders like making homes in them and all the crud that gets blown around in the shop gets in them. I recently came across these awesome plywood boxes that are a little bigger then the milk crates. They have lids so when you are running table saws or dust producing equipment it keeps it out of the storage boxes. I can just take the air hose and blow out around them. They look nice and neat as well. So figure out what storage containers you want to use and plan for them when your build benches and shelves.

Here is a picture of the long wall in the main garage. The top box is actually sitting on the deli prep table and the bottom is free to roll over to the car as a service cart. The garage is 19ft deep. That back wall is to a storage room. There is a 18 inch deep work bench back there. Room is about 5ft deep and the width of the garage. I plan to knock that wall out. That will give me about 23 feet from the garage door to the front of the work bench. Plenty of room to walk around all my vehicle but my Suburban. Still be a little tight if I have to pull that beast in but it will fit where as it doesn't fit at all now.

There is actually 24 inches at the end of the blue bench before the wall for vertical storage of plywood and such.

Attachments

#8 ·
I also thinking since I want a movable welding table to make somthing that it universal??? I want to bolt a peice of wood, possibly a thick peice of plywood, to the bottom of my table saw, and soon to have chop saw and table top drill press, and make a mount to the movable welding table so I may interchange the tool Im using.

has any one done somthing like this before???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.