Pirate 4x4 banner

Welder money to spend

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  keifer 
#1 ·
I got the ok at work, (maintenance for apartments), to buy a welder. Yeah,Yeah dont ask what i will be welding in an apartment,,, anyways, i forsee this welder spending alot of time in my garage. Perk's you know? I am looking for your recomendations.
1st-- Has to come from Home Depot,(credit card)
2nd-- Looking for 120volt mig
3rd-- I am not sure about gas vs gasless ect
4th-- Most of the welding would be 3/16-1/4 not alot of sheet metal (Jeep)

Just looking for a good all around welder i guess.

any part #'s, prices, and info is greatly appreciated.

I do have an old ass Century 220 arc welder at home for anything major, if i ever learn to weld.

#6 ·
CronusTRD said:
Can you shop at Lowes?

I picked up a 110v Lincoln 135 Pro Mig from there. According to Lincoln's web site, it is rated for 5/16" w/ flux core. I wouldn't weld anything that thick with a 110v, but it works fine for 1/4". I use a 220v arc for anything heavy duty/load bearing.

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.asp?p=7111
quote-1st has to come from home depot (credit card)
That looks like the same features as the weld pak 3200hd amp out-put and 5/16, list for 3200 is $459.00, how much did you give? By the way hows it going Mike?

#9 ·
• Plugs into 120V, 20 amp outlet.
• Gun trigger safety feature keeps welding wire electrically "cold" until trigger is pressed.
• Compact, portable, lightweight and easy to use.
• For welding .023-.035" mild steel and stainless steel solid MIG (gas-shielded) wire (stainless steel wire sold separately). Also for .035" mild steel flux-cored (gasless) wire. Install K664-2 Aluminum Welding Kit to expand the Pro-MIG 135's welding capabilities to include .035" aluminum solid MIG wire.

Looks like a decent machine, just add the Gas conversion and you'd be laughin! Hell I wish I worked for someone who would of paid for me to get a welder that would see more personal use than actual company use. Just keep the thing spotless and they wont even blink.

#12 ·
ToddRH I like your idea but I have to use alittle common sense.

BumpyDodge, I do use the old century some, locked a couple axles with it, didnt break while I had them, but they are gone now so who knows.

mr.tech I have the info in front of me between the weld-pak 100 and the weld-pak3200. Why do you recommend the 100 over the 3200? Both can use gas.

Also whats the reasons for using gas? cleaner welds? Less splatter? Better penetration?

Lincoln weld pak 3200hd--- handles a huge spectrum offlux-cored or MIG welding jobs, from auto-body repairs to farm jobs. 120v welder ready to weld mild steel with self-shielded flux-cored wire. Also includes virtually everything you need to weldMIG weld mild steel. Just add a cylinder of shielding gas.comes with welding handshield(crap) instructional video, undercarriage, mild steelprocedure chart inside. The 3200hd has 25-135 ampoutputand welds up to 5/16 steel using flux core wire. 3 year warranty.

#14 ·
Flux core gives better penetration (ask any welding shop). Or look at the chart inside a welder, flux core is stronger. You get better looking weld and less clean-up with gas, but you sacrifice strength. Don't get a WeldPak 100. I have a WeldPak 100 and a SP 125 Plus. The 100 is cheaper but by the time you spend the extra $100 to convert it to gas you just about paid for a bigger welder (you saved some $$ but have a smaller machine).

#15 ·
the wed pack is a good "starter machine" I have a weld pack and a miller 135. I learned on the weld pack and it welds super easy very simple to use and very easy to transport (super light) that is why I like it.

It is also about 8 years old and gets used about 3 times a weak, and still has never broken or needed any thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.