Pirate 4x4 banner

moveable/stationary welding table

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  fj40guy 
#1 ·
i am making a welding table that need to be both stationary and moveable. i have searched grainger and fastenal for a caster that is retractable, but couldnt find one. i figure that i could build some sort of mount that would allow normal casters to retract and let the table sit on the ground, buti dont really have the time lately. anyway, i have the table about 2/3rds the way done and i can see that it already has enough weight to keep it stationary without bolting it to the ground. now that i have that part solved, i want to make it mobile. any ideas?

i thought about something like this that would allow me to lock the wheels, but from what i have worked with that had a similar wheel, i wasnt ever confident in the equipment staying still.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId=1611764956&ccitem=

will post pics tomorrow.

dave

#4 ·
W.O.T. said:
what about mounting the casters to a long bolt which would mount to the legs with a 90 degree bracket, you could spin the bolt down to put the wheel on the floor or spin it back up to rest on the legs.
thats what my GFs dad suggested. he is a retired pipe fitter and he said that he had seen it done this way. i think that it might be the easiest and cheapest route.

theres nothing wrong with mouting it on 4 locking casters, assuming that the casters dont slide around when locked. my garage floor has a extremely smooth finish. you could almost see your reflection in it....:rolleyes:

anyway, i will have a vice on one corner and i am concerned that using the vice to hold an object that will be pryed on or bent, will cause the table to spin. (not a violent spin, but still movement that is unwanted)

#5 · (Edited)
abrogate said:
thats what my GFs dad suggested. he is a retired pipe fitter and he said that he had seen it done this way. i think that it might be the easiest and cheapest route.

theres nothing wrong with mouting it on 4 locking casters, assuming that the casters dont slide around when locked. my garage floor has a extremely smooth finish. you could almost see your reflection in it....:rolleyes:

anyway, i will have a vice on one corner and i am concerned that using the vice to hold an object that will be pryed on or bent, will cause the table to spin. (not a violent spin, but still movement that is unwanted)
Wouldnt any force from being pryed or bent move the table that wasnt bolted to the floor??? I dont think casters or just the table sitting on its own weight, will sufice what your looking for. It it not bolted it will move, i dont think ive seen a portabe welding table that wouldnt move just from force. Maybe you should look for another place for your vice??? That way it will solve your problem. The casters that you mentioned look pretty tough, I think they would be more than enough for just a welding table, I think that any vise should be atached/mounted to the floor/wall or both.

#7 ·
For my table I used a base from an ATV/Motorcycle lift. It has levelers on it. They are basically a long bolt with a flat base that goes through a nut. This allows me to roll my table all over and make it stationary as well as level it. Check Mcmaster Carr for them or you could easily make some and use cheap casters. My table top is only about 30" x 48" though but it could apply to a much bigger one.

#8 ·
BMB, that is perfect. i was thinking about using the boat jack with the wheels, but couldnt think of how to use less than four of them.(dont ask). thanks for the great idea.

and as far as the vice goes, i know that the table will move if ot bolted to the floor, but i think that it has a less likely chance of moving if the casters were off of the ground.

anyways, it looks like it worked for BMB

here is his

#10 ·
BMB -- a friend has a massive welding, fabrication table. Under it is a "X" brace with a pad in the center of the "X". Took me a while to realize that was a lifting point. He has a 2 ton floor jack (industrial one) that he slides under it, jacks up and allows him to move the table around the shop. He gets the credit on that idea, but it is simple and to the point (legs are 4"x4" steel with rubber floor pads and jacking points to level the whole assembly).

Tom :usa:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.