Pirate 4x4 banner

250 volt plugs

552 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  u2slow 
#1 ·
I need to use my miller 175 at a shop were they are 4 prong plugs all around the room that say "250 volts, 30 amps". Is there such a thing as a 250 volt system, or is it just a 230 volt system. They are running bandsaws and such off these plugs right now.

I just want to make sure before I plug the welder in and screw something up.

#2 ·
I would defiantly check it out with a multimeter. No sense in screwing up a welder. As for the 4 prongs, its probably due to new standards (2 hot wires, 1 neutral and 1 ground). If yours is a 3 prong you could just make an adapter for it and leave the neutral out.

#3 ·
The only reason you need four prongs for 220V is when you also have 110V in the appliance - like the lights on a range or dryer. Possibly the bandsaws have a light in them? Otherwise for 220V you only need the two hots and the ground like RockRunner says. A neutral does nothing for 220V systems since they are inherently balanced.

#4 ·
cmc86 said:
I need to use my miller 175 at a shop were they are 4 prong plugs all around the room that say "250 volts, 30 amps". Is there such a thing as a 250 volt system, or is it just a 230 volt system. They are running bandsaws and such off these plugs right now.

I just want to make sure before I plug the welder in and screw something up.
I have a twist-loc 250v plug for my compressor even though it's only designed for 220v. The 250v designation is only a rating. I have some power tools that are rated at 120v but I know they will never see more than 110v unless a spike occurs in the circuit.

#6 · (Edited)
250V is the rating of the plug. 240V is a common 'nomimal' system voltage. (actual usually 220-240V). You may even find 208V with this type of plug is the building is fed with a 3Ø system. Motors are rated at voltage less than nominal to allow for voltage drop.

Regular '110V' plugs are often rated at 125V.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.