Pirate 4x4 banner

14" Abrasive Wheel Life

802 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  cdogg44 
#1 ·
How many cuts can I expect to get out of a 14" abrasive wheel on a chopsaw? I will be cutting standard 1" to 2" angle iron 99% of the time.

50 cuts? 100 cuts? I have no idea...

#4 ·
they aren't very expensive if your thinking of using a different method to cut. It would be interesting to see what is more cost effective in the long run, chop saw with abrasive blade, cold saw, bandsaw, sawzall, etc... including the machine its self and all replacement cutters

#6 ·
DaDunc205x said:
they aren't very expensive if your thinking of using a different method to cut. It would be interesting to see what is more cost effective in the long run, chop saw with abrasive blade, cold saw, bandsaw, sawzall, etc... including the machine its self and all replacement cutters
I can tell you from experience a wet bandsaw will cut way more than a chopsaw in the long run. At work, I can go thru a couple of 14 inch chopsaw blades a day, but can use the same bandsaw blade for couple of weeks. (somedays I run that bandsaw for several hours a day).

#8 ·
DaDunc205x said:
This is kind of where we're at... I say a chopsaw (~$200 or so) will be cheaper and much easier in the long run. My friend says a sawzall (which we already own) will be cheaper, but their blades add up quick.

And sorry about the 5 posts... I posted this earlier and it just kept timing out after I hit submit...so I'd hit back and do it again. I had no idea it was posting each time. Once it went through I stopped doing it, obviously.

I tried to delete the old posts but it wouldn't let me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.