Pirate 4x4 banner

Found a used Oxy Actylene setup with big tanks and cart - what's it worth?

956 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  BigWoodyWag 
#1 ·
Just like the title says. I found a shop going out of business and they have the big tall tanks with a cart, torch, hoses, etc.

Sorry, no pics.

How much should I offer?

#2 ·
well, around here the bottles are around $100-120 each. Might call a few local gas distributors and make sure they will fill the bottles for you if they did not sell them to ya.

As far as what the torch is worth, depends on brand and condition.

#3 ·
$20 for the tanks, and $25 for the torch and cart..I'll be over to pick it up shortly:flipoff2:

Sounds like you got yourself a pretty good find there.

I would start out asking $200-$225. That's if everythings in good working order. Is there any fuel in the tanks?

Brand new setups can cost $400-$600. So good condition used ones should be 30%-50% of that:confused:

I got a Victor commercial grade torch, with a rosebud tip, extra cutting tip and flame arrestors, propane tip, solid brass stand-off cutting guide, OXY & ACE tank 4' tall (100cfm?), 30' of brand new hose and an old cart for $200.
But the guy was asking $275 and I had cash at hand.

#4 ·
Make sure those are not rented tanks before buying. It would suck to find out that when you tried to get them filled the first time!

I'd start with $200 cash as well and see if they go for it.

#6 ·
If you ask the seller the same vague questions you ask here, you're screwed. You need to be more specific:

Tanks: Where's the paperwork on the tanks? Are they stamped on the neck or not? Is the lease on the tanks transferable or are they being sold outright? When are they due for a hydrostatic test? Have they been sitting around for the last 20 years or has somebody filled them recently? What local business do they have them filled at? What size are they?

Regulators: Do they even work? Do the diaphragms leak? Is the gauge glass broken out of them? Are they heavy duty or light duty? are they single stage or dual stage?

Torch: How trashed is it? What tips come with it? Is it made by a reputable mfg that still makes consumables for it? Is it a combo torch or a cutting-only torch? How big is it?

Cart: Does it roll? Is the chain still there?

The short, but smartass answer: It's worth somewhere between $0 for an unusable junk setup (Minus $ if you are charged with posession of stolen property) to $1000+ for a really primo setup that you can use to cut up 6" thick scrap all day.

#7 · (Edited)
BumpyDodge said:
If you ask the seller the same vague questions you ask here, you're screwed. You need to be more specific:

Tanks: Where's the paperwork on the tanks? Are they stamped on the neck or not? Is the lease on the tanks transferable or are they being sold outright? When are they due for a hydrostatic test? Have they been sitting around for the last 20 years or has somebody filled them recently? What local business do they have them filled at? What size are they?

Regulators: Do they even work? Do the diaphragms leak? Is the gauge glass broken out of them? Are they heavy duty or light duty? are they single stage or dual stage?

Torch: How trashed is it? What tips come with it? Is it made by a reputable mfg that still makes consumables for it? Is it a combo torch or a cutting-only torch? How big is it?

Cart: Does it roll? Is the chain still there?

The short, but smartass answer: It's worth somewhere between $0 for an unusable junk setup (Minus $ if you are charged with posession of stolen property) to $1000+ for a really primo setup that you can use to cut up 6" thick scrap all day.
Smart-assed or not, this is the type of feedback I needed.

I don't know shit about these things (other than how to use them). I've never owned one so I don't know what to ask the seller. The issue with the tanks being owned or rented I knew about, but nothing else.

Thanks for helping me put together a list of questions to ask!

#8 · (Edited)
Listen to BumpyDODGE.

Also in DEFINATELY check out the tank stamps!!!! Figure out the certification dates, and make sure they are within certification. Getting them tested and certed is time, and money!!! And then if you find out they can't be recert'd you are fucked.

One simple solution is to take a piece of paper and a pencil and take tracing of all the stampings. Then swinging by the local Gases refill co. (Trigas, Praxair, Airgas, etc...) and asking them to decypher the stamps for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.