Pirate 4x4 banner

multi axis bends question

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  lincontaco 
#1 · (Edited)
ive got a pro tools 105hd bender on the way and also have the bendtech ez3d software which it pretty cool so far from plugin in some made up numbers. one question which may be a dumb ass question but im having a mental block. i have no problem bending on a single plane and have read bending 101 about 100 times. but here is the question.....
lets say i create something in 3d mode in the software and it tells me to rotate the tube 20*, what method is everyone using to rotate the tube exactly 20*, i have an angle finder (not good in math so bear with me now) if i put the angle finder on the unbent side (straight side) there is no way to tell angle that i know of, if i put it on the bent side and rotate it, do i put it on the top,bottom,side or whatever of the tube? ive read about an indexer but dont know where to get one at, saw some stuff about an etched rotor for an indicator but want to know if there is an easier way with basic angle finder/level/square or whatever, so all of yall can call me a complete dumb ass and laugh but you got to help a guy out who trying to learn at that expense :grinpimp:

#5 ·
What I do, and has worked well for me, is first make sure that the unbent portion of the tube is level, and stays that way through the bend. On the next bend, the one where you need to rotate the tube, put as large of a piece of plate as you can across both legs of the previous bend. Put your angle finder on the plate, perpendicular to the unbent portion of the tube.

#6 ·
Get your giant clothespins out, and clamp your framing square to your piece of tube. So now you have a right-angle L laying against your really lazy L that you bent.
Put your magnetic angle finder on the leg of the framing square, so it's 90 degrees to the piece of tube that's still in the bender, and it'll tell you what angle the bend is.

#8 ·
Scott@Rockstomper said:
Get your giant clothespins out, and clamp your framing square to your piece of tube. So now you have a right-angle L laying against your really lazy L that you bent.
Put your magnetic angle finder on the leg of the framing square, so it's 90 degrees to the piece of tube that's still in the bender, and it'll tell you what angle the bend is.
Man, I wish I was that clever. That would be way easier than holding that damn plate up there.

#10 ·
XJGPN2 said:
I use this one with my smart-level (Mittler Brothers 1800-A Notch & Bend Aligner Mount):

This one is a little cheaper and works with the magnetic style analog angle finders:

Both are available through Van Sant
those look good, i ended up making something up today out of some left over lockrite parts which i grinded down to fit the tubing in and plated it. here is a pic and should get me the measurments i need. if my bends dont turn out right ill buy a good (non Harbor Freight) angle finder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.