Pirate 4x4 banner

Home Powdercoating Questions

1K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Rory Bellows 
#1 ·
I just bought a small manufacturing business and patent, and am considering purchasing one of the smaller powdercoating systems from Eastwood (basically just deluxe gun, etc.) and then setting up an oven for drying. I have searched and found some of the information that I need, but my main question is without setting up an actual booth to spray the powdercoat in, how much overspray is there and is there a need for a booth? If so, what did you guys do for a home powdercoating spray booth? Any help would be greatly appreciated....

#3 ·
i do powdercoating at home with that same kit and overspray is not that much i gave up on trying to reuse a long time ago though just sweep up. on side note the oven does not dry the powder coat it actually melts it. i also work at a larger scale production shop with industrial level powdercoating setup and we have a actual booth for spraying with a build in vaccum system and a 12 by 14 foot oven.

#4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys, I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't make a huge mess around the shop (rental space for now)... I wasn't thinking about the powdercoat only sticking to metal...

As far as home oven use, does it do a pretty good job?

Anything else I should know?

#7 ·
The other thing to do is talk to an appliance shop. When they sell a new one, they'll often let you cart off the old one for free. Saves them from disposing of it. They used to have spring cleanup around here where you could set large items out for the trash to take. You could score one for free that way as well. Usually it is the burners that go before the oven.

#8 ·
Overspray isn't a big deal, and you just sweep up. Do NOT use a non-explosion-proof shop-vac, though! Use a broom. :)

I have a used household oven in my shop for curing the powder-coat.

I haven't used it to heat press-fit parts or anything yet, but that's also the plan.

#12 ·
Powdercoating powder is explosive? I know the price of professional powdercoating will make some people blow-up in fits fits of rage but the powder? I don't know much about powder coating but I know explosive material cannot be shipped through most every carrier. How does Eastwood successfully ship this stuff? Not bashing anyone just like learning new things.

#13 · (Edited)
its the particles in the air...a box of powder won't explode, but the right amount floating around possibly could. My dad shop has big no smoking signs in the paint shop and idiots still walk in smoking.

The powder will get everywhere even with a booth if you do it enough. I hate doing maintance work in my dad's shop, everything is covered in powder.

#14 ·
Rory Bellows said:
Powdercoating powder is explosive?
Same principle as a grain dust explosion. A bag of flour isn't going to explode. In fact, if you dump flour on a fire it will put it out. But blow flour in a fine mist across a candle flame and you'll have a flame thrower. We did that trick back in high school chemistry class. They probably don't show you such tricks these days... :smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.