Pirate 4x4 banner

Battery Charger

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  basketcasejeep 
#1 ·
Well the 30 year old battery charger finally bit the dust, and I have a few batteries that need charging. What are the best brands? What are features that I should look for?

I need to charge 2 deep cycles at once for the Ready Welder, normal auto batteries, and small 12V batteries for ATV's and small engines.

What works?

thanks!

#2 ·
I bought a SPORTS POWER brand a 15/2/100 > This is for my marine deep cycle batteries for my readywelder, and regular car batteries. It charges deep cycles batteries better than normal chargers, and also shuts off automatically. Hope this helps. I forget what I paid like $80 or somewhere around there...

#3 ·
bikebumIII said:
I bought a SPORTS POWER brand a 15/2/100 > This is for my marine deep cycle batteries for my readywelder, and regular car batteries. It charges deep cycles batteries better than normal chargers, and also shuts off automatically. Hope this helps. I forget what I paid like $80 or somewhere around there...
I have that same charger and it is great. The automatic shut-off is very important. However, I have found that the "engine starting" feature is more or less designed for engines with either a gear reduction starter or 4-6 cylinders.

Yet, after charging my completely dead batteried Bronco for 30 mins, it did start up.

#4 ·
Where are y'all getting this charger? I looked at some that have the same features at Walmart a while back....

The old one had no auto shutoff(well it may have at one time, didn't work now). It had a fan inside that would cut out at random and you had to disassemble to case to oil. I think the starting capacity was 200+ A. I never used that feature though...

#8 ·
I got a diehard 2/40/200 and it works awesome. A competely dead battery will start a rig in 20 mins. 2 amp trickle charge, 40 amp quick charge, and a 200 amp engine start. Best $120 I have spent. Got it from sears on sale

#9 ·
Thanks guys, I'm still looking for one. I saw a model at Walmart a few days ago (usually avoid things like this at Walmart like the plague, this one had a 5 yr warranty IIRC). I think it was a 2/15/60 for about $78. I've seen a heavier model at walmarts before so I passed on it for now. I've only had to use the jumpstart feature once- on a customers charger. My batteries in my diesel ram had lost enough juice while I was working to refuse to start the truck. We hooked up to his charger and fired it off. We didn't trust the battery in his little car to start my diesel...

I don't necessarily need that feature, but if I'm forking over the money I'd like to go ahead and get the best bang for the buck. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.