Pirate 4x4 banner

Circular Saw

779 views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Rowdie 
#1 ·
Anyone have opinions on good framing circular saws? Right now I'm looking at getting a DeWalt "High Torque" saw but I haven't totally made up my mind. I really want a worm drive saw or something comparable. Any of you used the DeWalt before? My other option is spending the extra coin to go with a Skilsaw.

From what is understand the DeWalt not a true worm drive but a hypoid drive but we have one here on my jobsite and from what little I've used it for, it worked great.

Let's hear those opinions.

#5 · (Edited)
Bosch has a deal (Bosch bought Skil years ago for the Worm drive patent) where you buy the saw and you get two free Motorola 2-way radios ($50 value). Also, Bosch has a true 3 year warranty on the tool as long as you register it. The model # is 1677MD. I found a pic on amazon with info.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._1/104-8955524-7095939?v=glance&s=hi&n=507846

I sell them for around $190. I think you can also get them from Home Depot for around $200 w/a cord. The saw has a direct connect cord feature which is awesome in my opinion. You don't have to worry about messing up the cord on the tool because the weight is tranferred to the tool, not the plug connection inside the tool. You can also hook a 100' cord up to it. I sell all brands, but I recommend the Bosch because of the warranty is great, the service is fast, and the quality is great.

edit: the hd77 is pretty much identical to the Bosch 1677md btw.

#7 ·
If you're looking for a good wormdrive, then the dewalt shouldn't even be a consideration... they're crap...

sold more dewalts than anything at my store and I was having more of them returned than it was worth to even carry them... they have weak motors under load and tend to burn up the cheap parts inside quickly...

I use the more traditional Porter Cable circ's, don't care much for the feel of any of the wormdrives, but as far as reliability from a salesman's pov the skil is definitely worth the money

#9 ·
anybody who likes the hd77 would love the bosch. when bosch came out with their version, we parked our hd77s-the bosch saws are all we use now. for you sidewinder fans, its the best everyday production framing saw ever made. tools of the trade magazine rated the dewalt ahead of the bosch and a bunch of other saws. all i can say is they don't have to make a living with the tools they test. had these saws on the job since they first came out and have not made a single repair on them. forget about that yellow junk-go with the bosch.

#12 ·
jdrocks said:
actually, we've been using the bosch long before they came out with the direct connect which is the latest evolution of this saw. our first bosch branded worm drive must be 4-5 years old by now.
I know. The direct connect is a new feature available for the Bosch that elimates cord issues that trainrech mentioned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.