Pirate 4x4 banner

New MIG Wire

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Todd W 
#1 ·
I`m needing some new wire for my powermig255 almost burned through this spool. I forget what brand it is but it's not lincoln or esab it was just something one of the local shops carried. Befoe this spool I had some Lincoln in there and it didn't sputter or spatter near as much.

What are your guys suggestions on good quality wire.
(Mild steel)

.035 ER70S-6 L-56 MIG 30 LBS ? (Lincoln)

#5 ·
Todd W said:
I`ve read the technical differences what would be the noticable difference for me w/mild steel?

Well one thing is you will pay more for the E70s-6 wire than the E70S-3 wire.
The de-oxidizers (extra silicon) in the -6 wire will help with rust & mill scale issues. But the weld will still be inferior to one in which the surface has been preped prior to welding.
E70S-6 has origins with counteracting the oxidizing effects of welding with 100%Co2.
The E70S-6 may wet out better, but this is also a brand thing, my L-50 has no issues wetting out at the toes, as I have used other brands of E70s-6 and some cold lapped all day long.

Pm255 recipie for succes= 84%Argon16%C02 + .035 l-50. To include weld surface prep. A gas mix like Airgas brand 'steel mix', will allow your machine to transition from shortciruit or spray transfer settings with a twist on the wfs & volt knobs.

L-56 does have specific uses, but for myself welding on mild steel with argon/co2 mixes none of them make economic sense.

E70S-6 wires seem to have the largest following on the internet FWIW.

#6 ·
planet x said:
Well one thing is you will pay more for the E70s-6 wire than the E70S-3 wire.
The de-oxidizers (extra silicon) in the -6 wire will help with rust & mill scale issues. But the weld will still be inferior to one in which the surface has been preped prior to welding.
E70S-6 has origins with counteracting the oxidizing effects of welding with 100%Co2.
The E70S-6 may wet out better, but this is also a brand thing, my L-50 has no issues wetting out at the toes, as I have used other brands of E70s-6 and some cold lapped all day long.

Pm255 recipie for succes= 84%Argon16%C02 + .035 l-50. To include weld surface prep. A gas mix like Airgas brand 'steel mix', will allow your machine to transition from shortciruit or spray transfer settings with a twist on the wfs & volt knobs.

L-56 does have specific uses, but for myself welding on mild steel with argon/co2 mixes none of them make economic sense.

E70S-6 wires seem to have the largest following on the internet FWIW.

Thanks for the advice... I`m extremely picky about prepwork and that's my brothers job since i`m the welder! if it's not done right I wil insist on a re-prep or I will make it to my liking so ALL of my welding is done on WELL prepped surfaces.

Currently we are running a 75/25 mix but the gas is running low too as well..

So if I went with a 84%Argon16%C02 + .035 l-50 or (steel mix for the mixture) what would I notice dfiferently than my current setup?
Just as good if not better penetration? Cleaner weld?

BTW- What's required for spray transfer with my machine, or is that considered anything above 22volts? I don't have the manual as I got it used.

Thanks for your help.

btw- where can I pickup a 30lb spool of l-50 for cheap? (Whats entire model #)

-Todd

#8 ·
#9 ·
planet x said:
Some links:
http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2279

https://weldingsupply.securesites.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?Next::9:UNDEF:OR:C::PC

This pic is old, but shows pretty well what happens to the weld when the Wfs & Volts turned up.
.120 mild steel plate w/C-16(steelmix) + .035 L-50

spray suggestions; 11 or darker on helmet, decently thick glove for non-trigger hand, longish stickout 1/2"-5/8", WFS550-650 w/Volts 26-28.
Am I gonna be pissed I didn't read about spray transfer for all this 3/8" I been doing or is 3/8" to thin?!?!?! I`m oogled by spray transfer now lol :D

BTW: Since I wont be doing much if any spray should I still go with steelmix ??

#10 ·
Todd W said:
Am I gonna be pissed I didn't read about spray transfer for all this 3/8" I been doing or is 3/8" to thin?!?!?! I`m oogled by spray transfer now lol :D

BTW: Since I wont be doing much if any spray should I still go with steelmix ??

There is more to mig than just "frying bacon sound", but you have to decide for yourself how much about this welding process you wish to learn about, and what transfer method is best for your applications.
Here are a couple more pics that may be of interest.

This one was not done with the PM, but the pic came out well, which side do you think is spray transfer and which short circuit transfer?

This one is a fillet done on .120 wall (1/8") thickness, using Short circuit settings. The bead on the right of screen was done with the PM the other with an older Fabricator unit. What do you think about the fusion seen?

I use steelmix for short & spray but I do have a bottle of c-25 which will come in handy if santa delivers a Sp175+ this year.

#11 ·
planet x said:
There is more to mig than just "frying bacon sound", but you have to decide for yourself how much about this welding process you wish to learn about, and what transfer method is best for your applications.
Here are a couple more pics that may be of interest.

This one was not done with the PM, but the pic came out well, which side do you think is spray transfer and which short circuit transfer?

This one is a fillet done on .120 wall (1/8") thickness, using Short circuit settings. The bead on the right of screen was done with the PM the other with an older Fabricator unit. What do you think about the fusion seen?

I use steelmix for short & spray but I do have a bottle of c-25 which will come in handy if santa delivers a Sp175+ this year.
Like I said I`ve been doing a lot of 3/8" and there's no real frying baking sound there... only recently w/cages have I gotten back to that sound!

Anyway that side that's not spray looks like it's a cold weld.. not comparing apples to apples.

Thanks for the help.

#12 ·
Todd W said:
Like I said I`ve been doing a lot of 3/8" and there's no real frying baking sound there... only recently w/cages have I gotten back to that sound!

Anyway that side that's not spray looks like it's a cold weld.. not comparing apples to apples.

Thanks for the help.

Oh sorry I read too much into your reply, I took it to mean spray transfer was not something you would use... and yes not apples to apples.

That Powermig of yours is a 300amp machine, but the chart on its door does not give starting settings for Spray transfer. And the suggested starting settings for thicker material will put you into something called globular transfer. That type of mig transfer will have more splatter than either short circuit or Spray transfer. I rarely use Globular transfer on purpose fwiw. I do not know why the manufacturers do this:shaking:

For more information on mig and gas mixes than you may want to know go here:
http://weldreality.com/MIG_welding_gases.htm

#13 ·
So for welding 3/8 I`m pretty sure it's in globular mode just because no more sizzle and it splatters a LOT.

You say you don't use globular... well how do you avoid it? Just spray transfer instead?

I agree the door panel sucks! it only goes up to 1/4" I think it needs to go up all the way!

-Todd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.