Pirate 4x4 banner

lets see your overhead storage

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  BadDog 
#1 ·
for tubing and 2x4's etc?

My tract home has those wooden I beams, not 2x4's or 2x6's. I need some overhead storage in the garage for some tubing and stuff.

#4 ·
I'd do some checking before storing in your rafters. Typically, they are good for about 10 lb / ft2 (IIRC). On my garage I had the truss mfg. replace the 2x4 bottom chord with a 2x8. I didn't have the new allowable load calculated, but figure I'm probably good for 15 to 17 lb / ft2.

#5 ·
Yeah Plug, lengths of steel add up quick as far as weight goes, and it doesn't seem real convenient or practical to be trying to fit 10ft+ sticks up there.....can you build a rack outside or anything? Can you fit them under a workbench that runs along a wall if you re-arrange?

Failing that maybe you could reinforce the rafters with some right angle brackets coming off the wall studs but run them all the way down to the floor to shift the weight down there too..... but seems costly and a good bit of work to store steel overhead which just seems like a bad idea, again, if you consider the weight.

#8 ·
I incorporated steel racks for 20' lengths into my full length wall shelves. Also had several separate "small sizes" locations to keep it from getting lost in the larger stuff, or from having to dig it out when it works it's way to the bottom. Works great and primarily only takes up space that would be all but lost anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.