Pirate 4x4 banner

what causes porous welds?

9K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Jeepnford 
#1 ·
what causes porous welds? i welded the entire spring hanger, and then on the second to last part, i get this nasty swiss cheese bullshit. so what do i need to change?

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
frankenfab said:
A gust of wind blowing away your shielding gas will also cause a porous weld.
sheilding gas? :laughing: thats stick my friend.

jeepnford, head out there about once a month or so. if you click on the link in my sig, you can head over to our forums, we have a run planned out there in a couple weeks.

thanks for the feedback everyone.

#9 ·
Oil paint or undercoater still on there. I have one rig that was rolled over for a couple days before the PO could get it righted.(in her driveway but thats another story). there is alot of oil in the left frame rail, when I weld to that rail it would always do that no matter how much I cleaned till I figured it out. now I pre heat the area first for a few minutes any have no problems. lots of smoke out ot the frame during pre heat though.

#10 ·
looks like technique-
Rod angle + arc length started getting inconsistent. It's hard to maintain a proper rod angle when you are working with a stub, especially inside a corner. That would also explain why you only had the prob on 2nd half of weld. No big deal - grind out bad weld and redo. Surface prep looks like it was adequate.
-Just my .02

#11 ·
Napoleon047 said:
sheilding gas? :laughing: thats stick my friend.
Apparently you aren't aware that as the coating on the welding rod burns it creates the shielding gas necessary to limit porosity. And yes, welding on a windy day, even with stick, can be susceptible to shielding gas being blown away.

Try welding on top of a 185' tall water tower with nothing for a wind screen...

#17 ·
Common causes of porosity are:
arc length(too close or to far away from material); current too high; insufficient or moist shielding gas; travel speed to fast; base metal covered with oil, grease, moisture etc.; wet, unclean or damaged electrodes.

I would venture to say, you had dirty metal, or just got excited and moved the rod to fast.

#19 ·
From the looks of the weld ripples your speed is a little fast and you probably have oil on there from all the spatter you are getting, or your arc lenght is to long. With that 7018, once you get the arc started you can push the rod right down onto the base metal.

#20 ·
Jeepnford; we head out to fulton quite a bit. its always different members, but there was a group that went today[/QUOTE]

If some of you go out in a month or so I'll try to make it. Right now I have a broken foot so I'm not doing much yet.
Those of you building a shop be careful working from an extension ladder.:shaking:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.