Pirate 4x4 banner

spool gun on tig power source

978 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  verceingetorix 
#1 ·
is it possible? ive got a miller dynasty 200 and was just wondering if i could buy a spool gun to use the dynasty as a power source.

#2 ·
Yes and no

Spool guns generally work off of CV power sources - Your Dynasty is CC, so the short answer is no.

Is it possible?
Yes (kind of) Some wire feeders can work off of a CC power source if they have a voltage sensing cable, So it's possible to power a wire feeder off of a Dynasty. If you can power a wire feeder, you can power a spool gun from the wire feeder (in theory). Is this practical? Hell no - It would require so much adaptation, you'd be better off buying a stand-alone mig (+ spool gun if you mig Aluminum). My machine has a CV tap (directly powers a wire feeder) and it's STILL more cost effective and easier to get a stand-alone unit for wire feed welding.

#3 ·
definately doesnt sound practical. miller has their dvi box thats voltage sensing, but my dynasty has more power (200 amps vs 170?) plus i dont think the dvi box has quite the range of input voltage (110v-440v,1p or 3p). plus it only weighs about 50 lbs. :) just a thought anyways. thanks for the info.

#5 ·
voltage sensing cable to sense contact and power the gun across the arc, not "input voltage sensing" like on a DVI. look at the small ground clip on this Miller wire feeder- that's a voltage sensing cable.

Cobramatic has a gun that will work with some adaptation, but they aren't cheap.

you can use a readywelder, they have a separate power supply to power the spool
the ADP model will work

#6 ·
spool gun

Better off buying another welder. Tried to do the same thing just too expensive. Just ended up finding a 1 year old esab multimaster 260 with the spool gun, like the miller xmt models. Picked it up for about $2,000

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.